Kiln not heating right

I am passing on this great question from a Member of the forum ...

My kiln takes several hours too long to reach the desired temp. What may be the reasons for this?

Well I'm not a kiln expert but I have owned electric kilns for 38 years and when they started slowing down I needed to replace my wires. Denice

If it's an electric kiln you can check the coils by turning the kiln on high and turning the lights out. The elements should be glowing bright orange. If they are dull, or if you have dull sections or dark spots you'll probably need to change the coils. If an entire section is dark you may have a relay burnt out or a wire short.

If an entire section is dark you may have a relay burnt out or a wire short.

The center section of top-loading kilns will remain dull in color if the elements have been "tuned." This means the center elements are designed to draw less power and do not glow brightly. In such kilns, the center section glows a dull red at around 1000F. Even at cone 7, the center elements of certain models still do not glow brightly. This is nothing to be concerned about.

A quick rule of thumb: A sudden, marked decrease in heating capacity means an element, relay, or switch has burned out. A gradual decrease means the elements are wearing out.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Archived