Cone 10 Clay Fired At Cone 6

LeeU

I have maybe a half shelf or a half and a bit more of "smalls" in an unglazed cone 10 Troy Woodfire body. If I only fire it to cone 6 (for bisque) and I am not able to get into a woodfire anytime soon, and the peices are not being used for food or anything that would get much handling, will that clay be "fired enough"? Or would I be shortchanging myself re: quality by not just holding on to them until I can do a cone 10 wood fire, or even just wait until I can make enough from a high fire body to fill my my electric kiln?  I can afford to wait, but I'm not really all that patient if it doesn't make a major structural or aesthetic difference for the type of ware. So-what should I expect-usable at 6 or not until 10?  

You can fire to cone 6; understanding that it will be in no way way functional. I use to fire cone 10 porcelain to cone 6 all the time, when I began moving my crystalline glaze to a friendly firing schedule. The fluxes used in cone 6 and 10 are exactly the same: there is just less of it in a cone 10 body. You can cheat it a bit if you wish: after you bisq fire: spritz or dip the pieces in a mixture of 1 tablespoon of Nep Sy to one cup of water. The additional flux absorbed with help increase vitrification and help stabilize the clay/glaze interface.

Nerd

Archived