Refiring High-Fired Bisque Clay With New Glaze At Cone 10

Hello!

I made some small sculptural pieces and fired them from green to bisque at cone 10 in a gas kiln. They had a nice, earthy tone caused by flashing that I was happy with. Since then, I've done more of the same style of pieces that I've made "the traditional way," i.e. fired to bisque in an electric kiln (cone 06), then glazed, then fired again at cone 10 in the gas kiln. Those glazed pieces sold much better than the original bisque pieces, so I would like to glaze them and refire if possible.

I suppose my question would be: because I had fired the pieces from green to bisque at Cone 10 in the gas kiln, would it be possible to glaze and refire them at Cone 10 again? Are they too vitrified? They don't need to be food safe.

If refiring at Cone 10 is not possible, could I do an underglaze at a lower temp? What about an iron oxide wash? What are some other methods to add color that might not involve firing?

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

Edit: It's a stoneware body that my employers mix up custom, so frankly I'm not sure what all goes into it.

Those pieces will not take glaze well at all.

You could warm them up and glaze them let them dry and then glaze again when dry

This option is a huge pain and the results are sketchy at best

Since you have vitrafied the body you could rub iron oxide wet mix into the clay with say a sponge or any colorant for that matter..

The low fire option is not my area as I,m a high fire person.

Is this body stoneware-or whiteware?..

Archived