Low temperature soda firing

joanne_s

Hi

I currently soda fire at 1280°C/cone 09 (with gas) but wanted to experiment at lower temperatures. I know that it is possible to soda fire from 1000°C/cone 06+ but have never actually seen any work that has been fired this way.

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of firing? Any pictures or advice?!

Many thanks,

Jo

Excuse me but 1280 is high fire ^9 stoneware temperatures , not 09.

When you use salt at ^06 or even lower in saggars at ^011 , the salt will flash and assist with fuming colorants like copper.

The basic premise for soda firing is to etch the surface of a maturing clay body. I have soda-fired terra cotta at ^1.

There is a technique called called salt-ku or using salt in raku temperatures. I think Rick Berman has done much work

in this area. You might try goggling that to find out more about it.

Marcia

Hello Benhim and Marcia, thank you for your replies.

I think more haste less speed is required when typing to avoid adding 0's where they shouldn't be!

I am aware of the basic premise of soda firing, however, I have recently started experimenting with re-firing reclaimed architectural ceramics which are not liking ^9! As the bricks etc should have originally been fired between ^06 - ^02 I thought it might make more sense to try and re-fire them in this temperature range.

I have never salt or saggar fired but really like the idea and will look into this further.

My firing partner and I will read the articles you have suggested with great interest at our soda firing tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Jo

Archived