Burnishing Question

I've seen a few videos where the potter burnishes there pots to get a smoother surface but I can't tell exactly when they are burnishing.

While its still wet on the wheel, while they are leather hard or anytime in between?

Try burnishing any piece of leather dry clay with a polished stone or an old spoon.  You'll see that if it is too wet it doesn't burnish and if too dry it scratches.  There is a sweet spot where it takes and keeps the burnish and you often need to burnish over and over again till the burnish stays.  Some clays never seem to keep a high shine while other do.  L

I tried burnishing today with my thumb nail on some leather dry clay, I like what it does. I'll need to sneak a spoon out of the house until I find a poiished stone.

I've been playing around with a handled sponge brush for a while, sometimes it works nice, other times it raises the grog to the surface.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I burnish first at leather hard with polished stone.  I find using a spoon affects the colour of the clay. I then burnish again at bone hard...wet the clay slightly. Sometimes at this stage I rub with vegetable oil and when it turns white I burnish one last time with the stone. :) 

Archived