Hardest, Most Resilient Low-Fire Clay Formula?

arcadiax

Hi all,

An idea came to me the other day and I was thinking of making my own fishing tackles and sinkers with clay - glazed with metallic colors or just spray painted on afterwards.

These will be solid bodies - not hollow unless I am thinking of making little floaters but I do not think the hollow ones will survive too well in the ocean with all the little rocks and etc at the bottom.

I am thinking body design will be critical but simple geometric shapes will serve their purpose.

It's cheap, I have spare time, and gets me and my family free seafood! Sinkers and tackles can truly cost a fortune.

I thought making these will cost between 1-2 cents each to make. Can literally make hundreds of these in one go for under 20-30 bucks.

Question, which clay formula is best? Nerd will probably know the answer to this question =P.

It's also environmentally friendly compared to lead sinkers - especially unglazed, just bisqued sinkers.

- Steven

Yep, sounds like a good idea on paper, but if you want to get to the bottom you want maximum weight, (particularly if there is current or tides) and I think ceramic weights would just be an exercise in frustration.  They would probably have to be long to be heavy enough to match the weight of lead, but still slice through the water like a lead weight does to get to the bottom quickly.  

I do like the idea that the eye could be glazed and smooth to minimize line chafing.  However, if you are drift fishing and the weight is bouncing off the bottom, hitting rocks and coral, etc.. I don't think ceramic is going to last very long.  Remember how your lead weights look when they come off the bottom after a long trip....  

I have made ceramic big game fishing lures and Neil here  on the board makes freshwater ceramic lures.

I do not think clay weighs enough and is strong enough to work as a sinkers especially in the ocean (I'm an ocean person to say the least)

They will have to be to big to have enough weight and at that size they will be to fragile.

Thats why lead is used-you can also use zinc or other heavy metals even iron but these all can take rock abuse.

I have found that  ceramic car tires where also not a good idea.

Archived