What You Don't Know CAN Hurt You!

Not knowing what I was doing, I hand built around 12 bowls, etc. with ^10 clay - Laguna #510. Never knew that I had to glaze them with ^10 glaze. They don't seem to pre-mix ^10 and I'm not interested in mixing my own glazes - at least not right now.

Has anyone had any luck with using ^5 glaze on ^10 glaze?

If not - are there any other options at all?

Thank you... from a very frustrated potter!

You are not required to glaze your bowls at ^10. However, ^10 is the temperature at which the 510 clay body vitrifies, or becomes glass-like. Your clay body is rated from ^8-^10, with less than 1% absorbancy at ^10.

You can glaze fire the bowls at ^5 but they will not be vitrified and will absorb more water. Given the firing range, I would expect you could also experience some crazing in the glaze as there may not be a good fit between clay body and glaze. Your bowls could still serve as decorative wares or be functional for non-liquid items (e.g., fruit bowls, candy bowls). Another option for finishing would be to raku fire -- yielding decorative, non-functional ware.

In selecting a clay body, it is always important to consider the firing range and the absorbancy -- these will help determine the clay body's suitability for function or non-functional ware, water holding or not, etc. Manufacturer's provide that information on their web sites; stores selling clay should also have that information posted for folks to see.

Mayco has glazes in the Stoneware line that can go to Cone 9/10. Look at the Product Details to be sure the glaze is good for Cone 9/10.

Check them out here: http://maycocolors.c..._id=88&Itemid=4

Another option is Aardvark has their line and the Coleman line of glazes for Cone 10.

Check them out here: http://www.aardvarkc...ages/glaze.html

Now, that we have the glaze problem figured out, where are you going to fire the bowls to Cone 10? Do you have a place, as the clay and glaze won't mature at Cone 5/6. If you don't fire them to maturity then the bowls will probably leak, or the glaze won't fit, or something else. None of the outcomes are good. So sorry for your issue.

Good luck with solving the firing part.

John

Archived