Old Cress Kiln Info Please

oddjobson

Hi, 

I got a Cress kiln from the 70's from the son of a deceased potter.  The plug is one I haven't seen and don't have in my house.  I know how important safety is in kiln operation, but I thought I would see if anyone could help me out with a little information about the Volts and Amps before I talk to an electrician.  

Thanks, 

post-76805-0-44989800-1461345769_thumb.png

post-76805-0-44989800-1461345769_thumb.png

What is the Model # of the kiln. There should be a plate on the outside of the kiln that has this info along with the volts & amps.

From what I see in your photo, it looks like a 50 Amp, 240 Volt plug. Probably a cone 6 kiln.

Post some photos of the kiln with a yard stick or tape measure near it to relate the size.

JohnnyK

Yep, that's a 6-50 plug (50 amp), although that's not the important stuff. 50 amp cords are commonly used on kilns that draw as little as 30 amps. What your electrician needs to know is the actual amperage draw of the kiln, which you can find on the serial plate on the side of the control box. The breaker/fuse and wiring to the kiln should be 25% greater than that amperage draw. So 48 amp kilns go on a 60 amp breaker, 30 amp kilns go on a 40 amp breaker, etc.

Archived