First Firings With New Kiln.

Joe_L

My brand new kiln finally arrived a couple of weeks ago. This is my first kiln so I'm still on a steep learning curve.

Got it installed ok and I've kiln-washed the shelves and done the first test firing to oxidise the elements. Then I did a slow bisque firing with test tiles and now completed my first glaze firing with test test tiles again. After some debate I went for 1240'C with 20minutes soak. Of course I was really excited to open the kiln and - Yadaa! - success.

The ventilation arrangements seem to be working out ok so we're not filling up with fumes or overheating the shed I'm using as a studio.

Nothing exploded, no glaze on the shelves. 3 tiles had warped enough to tip over against their neighbours but I had placed them at 90' so they would support each other if this happened. A quick tap separated them. Some tiles came out quite well, of course plenty of dull combinations too but I know that's all useful information. Much work to do but I'm confident now I can go through the procedures correctly and can start experimenting and developing my work.

Small steps but I feel encouraged.

Joe

Archived