Duncan Energy Saver Kiln

thew

Hi, I bought an older Duncan energy saver electric kiln that has a vent hole in the lid about 4 inches wide. It is approx. 30" deep and in good shape, I have not fired it yet. Has anyone used one of these and has any information on the procedure. Just can't wrap my head around that vent hole for an electric. Matt

Hi Matt and welcome.

I did a quick google search and I think I came across the manual for that kiln. On pages 13-14 on the link below it mentions the lid vent.

Does the kiln have peepholes that you can use to vent the kiln with? If so I would just use those and plug up the lid vent entirely. (I'm guessing you haven't added a vent to this kiln?)

http://www.paragonweb.com/files/manuals/lx851_duncan_energy_saver_owner_manual.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Min, just got back on the page and saw your post . . . thank you. I also found the manual and that has always been a concern of heat escaping out the top vent. I haven't fired the thing yet and probably won't until I retire in a couple of years. It only has two peepholes if I remember (it is in Wyoming, I am in Montana). Guess if I can't find someone who has fired one to go ahead with the manual and then try it with top hole plugged and peeps out. Again. thanks for the reply and idea. m, 

I have a Duncan Kiln, it's just a vent hole to let the steam out. Plug it when all the steam is gone and keep it plugged for high fire. It  will fire fine with out the plug, the heat loss is minimal, but it would be better to plug the hole.

Mine is now vented from the bottom, so I keep the hole plugged all of the time.

Archived