Whose Mug did you choose this morning and why?|Sept. 5, 2011

Can summer really be gone so soon? Is anyone quite ready for autumn? winter?

Maybe not, but let's have some fun with the question of the week ....

Whose mug did you choose this morning and why?

I know I pause before I grab my mug every morning and I bet you do too.

Don't be shy. Share your positive, fun opinions.

As always, when replying to the question be sure to hit the reply button below and outside of the message. If not, it quotes all the previous message making the post much longer and difficult to read.

Though I own and use a lot of pots made by other potters, most of my coffee mugs were made by me. Because I am a high-volume coffee drinker, and it's hard to find mugs large enough! Most of the mugs in my kitchen are glaze tests or seconds. I keep them stacked up near the sink (why bother to put them away?) and usually choose the one on top of the stack. Today, I picked a wood-fired number, with a white shino glaze.

Mea

OK ... I messed up somehow !!

Posted this is facebook where everyone is answering instead of here!

I will try again .... but here they are anyhow ... Chris

Teresa Gagne

It is one of mine - a fake tea bowl - because I haven't done the dishes. Salt fired, faceted with three notches in the foot.

Dolita Dohrman

mug by Connie Christensen because it is my favorite. Just the right size, the glaze feels silky in your hand, and it is tall and narrow which keeps the coffee hot. Not to mention it is absolutely beautiful! I have two...one for me, one for my husband.

Alex Solla

One of my old sunset red tumblers. Even though it was the runt of the bunch when I made it (and why I ended up keeping it)... I love the texture of the glaze. Why today? I'm practicing sipping... in preparation for gastric bypass. We were told at our nutritional seminar, we are not going to be able to gulp the way most everyone does when thirsty... so now I am trying to learn how to get by on 1oz of liquid every 10 min or so. Means drinking non-stop. I like this tumbler. If I have to drink non-stop... this is it.

Sue Swail Bang

A beautiful blue mug made by my lovely friend and fellow potter Missy Hammack Baird. http://wildfirepotterync.com/home.html I drink from it every morning, it fits pefect in my hand and is oh so pretty! raised in the mountains of West Virginia where my love of nature, beautiful landscapes, mountain ran

Cameron Woodbridge

A magic mug that hold's excellent coffee and refills itself.

Noel Lyn

Mark Knott's beautiful teal mug of tea! Super comfortable handle and holds about two regular cups! Great way to start Monday morning!!!

William Schran

One of my own mugs, made in about 1980, only have 3 of this design/series left. Simple, unassuming brown glazed mug. Was in front when I opened the door...

Lynn Goodman

A mug I bought at the NCECA mug sale in 2010. I don't remember who made it, it's porcelain, black slip, celadon fired.

Jackson Gray

On a road trip from San Diego to Washington DC, I stopped in Berea KY and visited Jeff Gieringer 's shop. The mug I bought was large with an interesting glaze combination, I think he said it was his wife's design. My coffee is getting cold, I ought to go fill it up again.

Ruthann Ulrich Cage

I bought my newest favorite this spring at North Cole Pottery in Sanford, NC. It is a gracefully shaped turquoise/green one by Kevin S. Brown. It has just the right balance and feel for me because of the handle into which all four fingers fit. Small things make me happy!

Pat Woodbridge

Mine is in a mug my son Cameron got for me from a local potter named Judy. It's tall with bone background color and from the top rim a wonderful cascade of magenta, turquoise to gold brown and then a wee touch of green. It holds in the heat and makes my coffee taste better on a chilly morning.

Susan Moore

My great big mug from Sunset Canyon Pottery...teal and rusty earth tones, perfect for Chai tea

Charles A Peavey

One of mine I made for myself. It is rather large, cylindrical with a very comfrotable handle. The design contains a fern frond rolled into the surface wiped with chromium oxide and glazed with a green celadon. I just enjoy it most out of several I like to use. I lke the weight, the tactile pleasure of the celadon and I love ferns.

Chuck Reid

Because it's my last big one made by Eva and Hubbie at Queenston potteries.

Lauren Bellero

hey dolita, me too! i had connie christensen for an at-home-mug-exchange one year. i like it for the same reasons you like yours.

Susie Parker Campbell

A beautiful wood fired stoneware mug by David Voorhees was my choice this morning. But my husband drank almost all the coffee in the pot!

William Schran

Jackson and all - If you weren't aware, Jeff Gieringer passed away in April. I think Lisa is carrying on with the gallery/studio. Got to know him through a crystalline glaze forum. He once said I was one of his early influences - as if I'd have that effect on anybody. Had dinner with he and his wife couple years back when he was in Northern Virginia for a show. He is greatly missed.

Chris Broussard A nice red, white, and blue melted glaze porcelain mug I bought at the San Diego Potters Guild by R. Klien. Guess it's apprpo for a Labor Day morning.

This morning, as in almost every morning for the past 12 years, I used a mug made my Tony Winchester. It is perfect in every way: balance, weight, comfortable handle, lip. It's spiral faceted, and one of the facets has wiggle lines. Reduction fired with several glazes. This mug traveled thirty thousand miles with me when I hit the road for a full year. I can't imagine starting my morning without it. Through the day, I use different mugs for tea, some my own, and some others I have gathered, but Tony's IS my coffee mug.

Can summer really be gone so soon? Is anyone quite ready for autumn? winter?

Maybe not, but let's have some fun with the question of the week ....

Whose mug did you choose this morning and why?

I know I pause before I grab my mug every morning and I bet you do too.

Don't be shy. Share your positive, fun opinions.

As always, when replying to the question be sure to hit the reply button below and outside of the message. If not, it quotes all the previous message making the post much longer and difficult to read.

As bad as it sounds, my wife and I go out to breakfast every morning, so my mug of the morning is a generic one that happens to be whatever the waitress gives me. Usually a large one, since we drink a lot of coffee.

Since I am an early bird at work, I for sure need my coffee to keep me going. Jackson Gray made me a special mug celebrating Potters Council 10th Birthday... I have been using it everyday. See attached pics. She made it in my favorite colors - Scarlet and Gray (for my favorite team). Again Thanks Jackson for making me such a beautiful mug.

post-15-13154018269724_thumb.jpg

post-15-13154018429345_thumb.jpg

post-15-13154018269724_thumb.jpg

post-15-13154018429345_thumb.jpg

I stand around in front of my mug shelf every morning and decide ... Mark Issenburg's when I need a large mug that stays warm a long time ... Eva's from Queenston Pottery when I need color .... Nan Rothwell's for comfort and style ... Marta Matray's when I feel crazy .... Tony Clennell's on rainy Mondays ... Gary Fuquay's for texture ... All made by friends so its like having company in the studio. It's always fun to watch my guests choose their mugs too ... good to see someone just reach in and grab any mug then be surprised by how nice it feels.:P

Archived