small craters in glaze

Veranos

I am having a problem with small crater like pinholes (1/64" to 1/8" in diameter) on fired bowls. The glazes are Laguna dry Forest Green and Castille Blue fired to cone 6. The glaze was sieved before use, the bowls were damp sponge cleaned, dried, and dipped into the glaze. The firing was done in automatic kilns and the operator assured me the proper firing program was used. The glazes were quite runny, but produced beautiful streaks, marred by the pinholes which varied in intensity from bowl to bowl. Any suggestions?

Veranos

I am having a problem with small crater like pinholes (1/64" to 1/8" in diameter) on fired bowls. The glazes are Laguna dry Forest Green and Castille Blue fired to cone 6. The glaze was sieved before use, the bowls were damp sponge cleaned, dried, and dipped into the glaze. The firing was done in automatic kilns and the operator assured me the proper firing program was used. The glazes were quite runny, but produced beautiful streaks, marred by the pinholes which varied in intensity from bowl to bowl. Any suggestions?

Veranos

Sounds like to me the pinholing is from glaze that has released gasses and not had a chance to heal up. Is the area of the pinholing thicker than the rest of the pot, or is the pinholing all over? Thicker glaze surfaces form pooling will often have a problem with pinholes.

Archived