From Bucket To Sieve.

Years ago I made a sieve out of the bottom of an old 5 gallon bucket. Worked for years until UV killed the plastic and I broke it. It had several design aspects that I decided I could improve so started snooping around the web for a better design. Didn't take long. Gotta love the internet.

I bought a couple of buckets and dug out my stash of window screen.

I bought 2 buckets so that I could practice on one and if things went badly, I could improve on the second.

So, grab your buckets and sharpies and lets get started.

Here is what I started with.

bucket

silicone

screen

chalk

broken hack saw blade

tin snips

100_0551.jpg

Here's a pic of the hack saw blade tool I used to cut the bucket. I used the back of the blade where it makes an acute angle. The angle isn't critical, but I did stone mine to make sure the edge was sharp. What isn't shown is the potters wheel and giffen grip I used to hold and spin the bucket.

100_0553.jpg

First thing is to take off the bucket handle if possible. Otherwise tape it out of the way.

The ones I bought twist out of their slots with little effort.

100_0556.jpg

Now, get out your tape measure and mark it out.

Keep in mind that your bucket may be thicker or thinner, or have a different taper etc etc. You may not be able to use the same exact measurements as I have. Just make sure you cut below the ridges that keep one bucket from going too far into the one below. We want to keep those ridges because our sieve will sit nicely in the top of a bucket on those ridges.

100_0557.jpg

Next turn it upside down on the wheel and draw on your lines while spinning.

Now, cut the bucket at the lines using the hack saw blade. Use a glove or wrap tape on the thing so it keeps your hand safe. Here is how I hold it.

100_0563.jpg

I cut the line closer to the bottom of the bucket first.It is cut #1 shown in this picture of the two parts after cutting.

100_0567.jpg

Next set the screen on the bucket mouth and push the bottom piece down into the top. Mark the screen with chalk and cut it with your snips. You don't want the edges of the screen extending up past the edge of the inserted piece.

100_0570.jpg

Once the screen is trimmed you may want to squirt some silicone around the inside bottom of the outer piece. I taped the screen in place and shoved it all together. Then I smeared the silicone into any gaps that were left.

100_0573.jpg

Viola!

And it fits so nicely into a bucket!

100_0576.jpg

This is such a neat idea and works so well I just had to share.

Wow, I like it when people show really detailed steps to a project. Makes it so much easier. Mad props for doing this.

Thank you.

I too love detailed step by step how to articles. I was inspired by another hobby with a tutorial that ended up being about 20 forum pages long with about 200 posts.

Luckily bucket sieves are not as complex as flintlock rifles.

Ben

Archived