Textbooks Of Choice

Ive heard a lot about the Pioneer Pottery book in various posts and it had me thinking "Where are my old textbooks from college?" It has been a few years since then and I realized that they got destroyed through a fault of my own, truck windows open during a thunderstorm. I was going through textbooks.com and there is an abundant supply of ceramic/pottery books out there. I remember my college course books had such value in them. Most books you find in a book store have more of a story picture book outline to them. I was hoping to get ahold of a couple of books with good core knowledge in them to help me work my way in fine tuning myself.

So I turn to this community with the question, What do you think are the best books to have on your studios bookshelf? Covering all aspects of ceramics. glaze tech/kiln/wheel/slab/coil etc

Guest JBaymore

There are a ton.... and no time to list them all.... but here's a couple:

One "must have" is Hammar and Hammar's "Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques".

Lawrence's "Ceramic Science for the Potter".

Another is "The Potter's Alternative" by Harry Davis.

As already mentioned, "Pioneer Pottery" by Michael Cardew.

Bernard Leach's "a Potter's Book".

Fred Olsen's "The Kiln Book"

Last edition of "Clay and Glazes for the Potter" by Daniel Rhodes (and revised by Robin Hopper).

Not technical but..... Susan Peterson's "Shoji Hamada" for a good read.

Leach's "Hamada: Potter".

When I get time I'll list some more thoughts on this.

best,

..................john

John,

It is nice to see I have your recommended list. My Potters Book by Leach had a $6.98 price tag in it from 1968. The more experienced I became, the more that book made sense.

It was especially helpful in fighting clinker build up in my altered diesel burners back in the early 70s.

I did downsize my library when we moved, but I held on to some of the best Ceramics books.

Marcia

• 2 weeks later...

Just got in the potters dictionary of materials and techniques...what a great book. Now what is next on the list. Sad I can just buy a bunch, but i have to pace myself when some are 50 bucks a pop.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a ton.... and no time to list them all.... but here's a couple:

One "must have" is Hammar and Hammar's "Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques".

Lawrence's "Ceramic Science for the Potter".

Another is "The Potter's Alternative" by Harry Davis.

As already mentioned, "Pioneer Pottery" by Michael Cardew.

Bernard Leach's "a Potter's Book".

Fred Olsen's "The Kiln Book"

Last edition of "Clay and Glazes for the Potter" by Daniel Rhodes (and revised by Robin Hopper).

Not technical but..... Susan Peterson's "Shoji Hamada" for a good read.

Leach's "Hamada: Potter".

When I get time I'll list some more thoughts on this.

best,

..................john

Susan Peterson's The Craft and Art of Clay 4th edition is one of my favorite source books included with those above. The book is pricey, but covers many areas in depth.

Archived