Back Aches And Wheels

I also had back surgery. Microdiscetomy on L5. I find raising the wheel and a "doctor's" stool works good. I can adjust it quickly once I detect pain. Also I have been using a Teeter inversion device for months and it really helps. It's not a machine, since there's no engine but it is great. If I feel my hip or calf or heel start to hurt I hang upside down and most of the time the pain goes away. But it's critical to keep the core exercises going as well. I really value all of you, spending your energies helping others. Your love for your craft is something I would like to have.

I recently threw 200 bowls for a charity event. Around 100 bowls my back started to ache (I'm' 6' 4"). The type of wheels (Pacifica) I use in my classroom have an adjustable "lift kit" for around $100. Haven't had a back problem in 5 months throwing standing up.

I was at a Jennifer McCurdy workshop last weekend. Someone asked her about her back. She said she uses an office chair (with wheels removed) and changes the height throughout the day, in relation to what she is doing on the wheel. She also rides her bike 20 miles each and every morning (on Nantucket!). She also works 7 days a week. And this is what she says keeps her back from hurting.

I was at a Jennifer McCurdy workshop last weekend. Someone asked her about her back. She said she uses an office chair (with wheels removed) and changes the height throughout the day, in relation to what she is doing on the wheel. She also rides her bike 20 miles each and every morning (on Nantucket!). She also works 7 days a week. And this is what she says keeps her back from hurting.

My gym just closed so I am making adjustments. Exercise does help.

I recently threw 200 bowls for a charity event. Around 100 bowls my back started to ache (I'm' 6' 4"). The type of wheels (Pacifica) I use in my classroom have an adjustable "lift kit" for around $100. Haven't had a back problem in 5 months throwing standing up.

That seem to be the general consensus. I have been doing better since I put my wheel on bricks. See my photo.

Archived