Element Wiring

ronfire

My wife just purchased a used Skutt c231 with a kiln sitter, kind of wished she hadn't . Found out It needs elements at $400.

I have a couple of wiring diagrams and the switch setup is different on both. Was wondering which elements on the low setting are the best to use? The kiln has 3 sections with 2 elements per section, I see some kilns wire the top and bottom element for low while others wire 2nd from the top and the bottom for low. The centre element looks like the all wire the lower element on the low selection. The top and bottom elements are different that the other 4.   Does it mater much which elements are used for the low setting?

ask skutt.  it is always best to go to the source for accurate information.  talking to a technical person at the source is the very best once you have determined how long the tech has worked there.   (someday, someone will decide that phones are really good at two way converstations!)

Typically with Skutt kilns the very top and very bottom elements will be the same, and the remaining 4 center elements will all be the same. The top and bottom elements run hotter than the centers to compensate for heat loss out the floor and lid. Call Skutt and make sure you get the correct wiring diagram for that model/year. Pay no attention to how the previous owner did it, because they may have done it wrong.

Archived