Re-Firing From Glaze Firing

Aodenkou

Hi, I took a chance on re-firing a mug that turned out with results I was not pleased with. The mug on the left is what a set of mugs looked like for me with a couple of new glazes I am trying. I ha a splash of a "Catsup Red" I ha brushed on that looked really nice. So, as I was pulling mugs out of the firing I grabbed the glaze and a brush and panted a layer around the mug. I was surprised how the glaze stuck to the warm mug and dried almost on contact.

So I had another firing and the mug on the left is the result. Both mugs looked very similar, and now I am very pleased with the result. So, I just have added the re-glazed mugs and they are now being re-fired and I hope they come out as nice as the one that I have already fired.

There are two take always for me:

1) I can re-fire a piece if I don't like it.

2) glaze will stick on a pot that is about 180 degrees F.

• 6 months later...

Recently I had 2 large platters crack with large c-crack through and through in the second glaze firing. Not sure why. 

Refiring platters, or any large flat shape, need to go slow through quartz inversion temp. I slow right down to 100F / hr from 950 until 1150 then resume regular firing schedule. 

If the crack has sharp edges it cracked on the way down, smooth edges it cracked on the way up.

Archived