How Do You "mark" Your Pot?

I just use a wire loop tool to carve my initials into the bottom with the 2 digit year.  If anyone asked about why I still had pots from 2002 that hadn't sold I would tell them my pottery is like a fine wine.  sometimes I keep them for awhile and release them into the world once they were properly aged.

I also sign the foot itself not the incised portion because I so often carve the same pattern on the pot into the foot and it would mess up my design to have my initials in the middle of it.

I'm going to point to my signature.  I have a chuck made from a wooden dowel I carved to be my signature.  I have 4 different sized ones of the same "G" with two dots under it  for size limitations ... and I utilize it to be pressed with a tiny pad of clay for a signature sprig.  Works well for my needs.  I will also tend to use different colored clays (black clay when used with red or white clays for example)

Ya'll inspired me with this thread.  I've been mulling what my chop should look like for several months, and had a design in mind.  I wanted my initials combined and in a Craftsman-esque font.  I tried with a dremel bit to carve a wooden stamp myself, but quickly gave up when it was apparent I would not get the clarity I needed.

I went to 4clay.com and ordered a stamp.  They sent back a proof incredibly quickly, and it looked great. 

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/4803-chop-proof/

So far I am thrilled with their customer service. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived