First Day Of School Clay Activity

We had a Central Supply. They would have on inventory all year items we could purchase through them, tempera, pencils, brushes, scissors  etc. These items were picked on low bid until I talked to the supervisor there and showed him how many of his low bid items actually were high bid because we had to keep replacing them. Take pencils, that the graphite was not centered, scissors made of cast iron that would break easily, brushes on being cleaned would lose hairs at first washing, tempera that took 3 coats to get an opaque look. I would also explain this in terms of student frustration when working with the materials. It took a major meeting with administrators, but eventually we got an advisory board in place to test the bid items for the next year. It was the end of the low bid. At the same time, suppliers caught on and started presenting better materials for low bid. Of course my school district was quite large for a rural, with grad class of 1000 when I started and 650 when I retired.

I'm always on top of my POs.  Our "checkout" for the end of the year, says we are supposed to place them, before we leave.  But I've figured out, that they don't actually order anything, until the new business year on July 1st.  So I usually do mine, in mid-June.  We have an electronic ordering system, which is awesome.  The Business Office, used to send us order confirmations via email.  They haven't been doing that of late for some reason.  

I was a little concerned this year, as they didn't seem to order as quick as normal.  I've got pretty much everything in, other than my photo supplies, which I may pick up from the store.

Pres, your district is quite a bit bigger than mine.  Our K-12 enrollment is around 1400, graduating classes of about 130.  

Today, our first day, we had a fog delay.  I honestly didn't mind.  I got through my expectations, made project folders, and we can get into it full steam tomorrow. 

I tried a little something different today.  After I went over some terminology, the stages of clay and the tools, I had the students make pinch bowls.  I haven't done this in years.  But this summer, I kicked around the idea of having the students make a slab tile, to test some glaze/ underglaze techniques.  So instead, I thought I'd let them get a feel for the clay, by making the pinch pots, then we'll use them to test some of said glazing techniques.  One simple thing will cover two concepts.  We'll see how it goes.

Our PO's in the beginning had to be in around January February for the next year. Towards the end they had to be in in May. We always had a budget battle in the early years, didn't help when one person would keep trying to push the envelope. We had a departmental set amount, no exceptions. I think you would gasp at the at amount in our last years-$10K.

That's not too surprising, considering your size Pres.  I spend less than half that.  I never try to push the envelope.  I order what I need, and if I can justify it, they don't have a problem ordering it.

For instance, my second year, Guidance put over twenty people in Photography.  I had seventeen 35mm cameras, and told them, not to put any more than that in the class.   But of course, what do I know, about what my class can handle....  Anyway I told my Principal, and he said just buy more cameras.  So there was an extra several hundred that I usually don't account for, but the district had no problem.  

I always feel that principals are sitting on a bunchof cash that is not designated. Where do all those student fees go? Why does the football team get so much money?

We are a consumable course and we don't generate money other than the art fee. I guess you have to be on good terms with your admin.

I had one principal where I always felt that I had my pants around my knees when I was talking to her. Needless to say, she intimidated me. I didn't get much money those years.

Tom.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Greetings All-- new here.  I teach HS (9-12 combined) ceramics.  It's my entire line.  First day of school I go over the expectations.  I write mine with a space for both parent and student to initial after each paragraph which has helped me hugely in the past avoiding the "I didn't see that part".   Then they sign the end and provide the contact info and anything I need to be aware of about their kid.  Then we practice all the drills--going out to our spot for fire drill (gets them up and out of their seat to ease the squrimies) and go over lockdown, shelter in place and anything else we need to do.  I assign some kids certain doors to close (they are always locked) and windows louvers to close. (we are an outdoor school) 

I agree with the idea of not doing team building activities.  Giving the HS students I have that much freedom would end up being like herding kittens!  I do seating charts which are modified as needed.  by the end of the first quarter I usually can relax the seating chart for most kids.  Some of them get to sit with me at my table....lol

That's the beginning of my year.

I apologize that this is so long-winded.  Just thought I'd share

Archived