How To Prepare 500# Of Clay For Recycling With A Pugmill?

Time straightening bent tines, and replacing one(only one ever), the days machine was down........ I could have run it, but the blades would not move things well. So I took out the shaft, took it over to the vo tech and they patched on a new piece of stainless steel onto the shaft, and with my help we figured out the angle of the blades and reset them.  This was the third write up the student had, and the code of conduct called for removal.

• 6 months later...

Thanks to everyone who had input here! I am looking for good ideas on how to keep the pugmill clay moist between uses. Here's the story that may help some of you, if you find yourself in a situation where you think you have burned out your motor....

I am using a Shimpo 071 de-airing pugmill in my middle school clay room. We don't go through a lot of clay all the time. I had let it dry out and then after I cleaned it and started it up again it stopped working. I thought I had burned out the motor. I even got capital funds approved to order a new motor or new capacitors, if that was all I needed. BUT, as it turned out, the electrician on campus found that everything was working fine, the problem was the machine had been turned on its side (or back) and the wires were crimped! He just replaced the wires and I'm in business again!

Archived