• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wheelthrowingnaturalist

wheelthrowingnaturalist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

I've been in art for high school and community college students. They would judge between 2-D and 3-D work (3-D included wheel throwing work like vases and handbuilding work like...anything). But there are so make cool things you can do with handbuilding and there are limits with wheel throwing. So, is it fair to compare the two for judging?

#2 wheelthrowingnaturalist

wheelthrowingnaturalist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

I've been in art shows for high school and community college students. They would judge between 2-D and 3-D work (3-D included wheel throwing and handbuilding). But there are so make cool things you can do with handbuilding and there are limits with wheel throwing. So, is it fair to compare the two for judging?

#3 Colby Charpentier

Colby Charpentier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

The wheel is just a tool, like a slab roller or an extruder. I don't see any need to distinguish the two...

#4 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

I really don't see much difference either, and so often wheel thrown pieces have handbuilt parts. At the same time, I really don't see the wheel as having limitations at all. You want a slab, you can throw it.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#5 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

I don't see any problems with that either. Hopefully those judging won't see any difference either.
But then, judging is at the descretion of those making the decisions.
Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users