Silver Sandstone

I have sand from the only mine in the world where silver is found in sandstone. The sand is a white Silica from the mine's tailings. I ran it through an #80 seive. It has fine specks of black. I took some of the black material and melted it with a torch and got tiny black shining sheres with metal flakes in each shere (see attachment). The silica melted to a white to light grey glass. I think the black material is laden with silver oxide.

What do you think about the sheres?

Anyone interested in trying to use some of this?

Jed

Looks interesting.

I have a bucket of rutile , Zirconium and ilmenite mined from a beach where the sand is rich in these elements. I wonder if I can replace rutile flour withthe rutile sand or perhaps may be better to use them in clay bodies. 

What temp do you lose siver to the atmosphere?  Use as a low temp onglaze?

Silver volitalizes at 3540°F which is well above cone 10. Some people try to "grow" silver crystals on glazes at cone 10 reduction. The silver has to be higher than 4% concentration for the crystals to form. Who knows what the silver concentration is in the sand I have.

The larger the rutile particles, the more mottled the glaze and the less even the glaze pattern should be, I would guess.

If you have a rock tumbler, you can ball mill your sand by putting some of your sand in the tumbler. Add 1/2 inch stainless steel ball bearings to the sand, then tumble for 2-3 days.

Jed

Than

Silver volitalizes at 3540°F which is well above cone 10. Some people try to "grow" silver crystals on glazes at cone 10 reduction. The silver has to be higher than 4% concentration for the crystals to form. Who knows what the silver concentration is in the sand I have.

The larger the rutile particles, the more mottled the glaze and the less even the glaze pattern should be, I would guess.

If you have a rock tumbler, you can ball mill your sand by putting some of your sand in the tumbler. Add 1/2 inch stainless steel ball bearings to the sand, then tumble for 2-3 days.

Jed

nks, haven't a tumbler, was thinking I may make a rutile rich slip and apply to areas of pots to see what happens.

Archived