Lighting For Pottery Display Booth

Please help with ideas on lighting for pottery display booth. Newbie to the art show scene.

I am designing a typical 10x10 sized booth. I have risers, pedestals, need some type of etagere. I am not quite sure how to mount lighting...overhead on beams?, next to displays?, up-lighting?, off of (nonexistent) sidewalls?, specialty lighting?...

I also want to make sure that I am investing in the right wattage and fireproof lighting for future shows. I welcome all display ideas and tips and suggestions. My understanding is that I need to find a way to connect lighting together due to outlet limitations.

I currently do not have the sidewalls to differentiate my booth from the neighbor....tips appreciated there, too. I definitely want to tone down the visual stimulation overload and truly highlight my work. Thank you in advance....

I highly recommend calling a couple of the lighting companies who advertise in the back of magazines like

"Sunshine Artist". They have been doing this forever and are excellent sources of good, solid info.

They can match the lighting needs to your work and they know how to light any booth.

They can be your best resource so be sure to let them know things like whether you will need to set it

up by yourself and if you will be indoors or out.

Oops ... Just shows how long I have been away from this scene ...

You could probably just google show lighting now.

I bought track lighting from LAMPSPLUS.com. I use them for both indoor and outdoor shows (underneath a weathertight tent when I'm outdoors). I tried to buy them online but got a little confused by the choices, so I called the 800 number and a friendly and knowledgeable person helped me to make decisions. He even saved me money compared to what I had planned to buy.

I got (2) 4 foot lengths of track, which can be used separately or combined into an 8 foot track. I got 8 small track light fixtures. I think it borders on being "too bright" in that I feel like I'm squinting by the end of a day. But aside from my comfort, I think the booth looks really nice.

Hope this helps!

Mea

Thanks, Mea. Quick follow-up question...how did you install the lighting? Did you use crossbeams on the top of your display, attach to boards, etc. I have to build these items in preparation and keep looking at photos of booth displays and not quite sure how to successfully install. I will call your reference. Thank you again!

Thanks, Mea. Quick follow-up question...how did you install the lighting? Did you use crossbeams on the top of your display, attach to boards, etc. I have to build these items in preparation and keep looking at photos of booth displays and not quite sure how to successfully install. I will call your reference. Thank you again!

Sometimes I use my own frame of poles, and sometimes I use whatever structure is provided by the show, but I always just strap the tracks on with cable ties. Sometimes I arrive at a show not knowing how I'm going to do it, but I can always figure it out.

There are many many ways to do it ... it's kindof hard to be specific in writing on a forum ... I recommend visiting several indoor shows this fall and start taking notes.

Mea

Please help with ideas on lighting for pottery display booth. Newbie to the art show scene.

I am designing a typical 10x10 sized booth. I have risers, pedestals, need some type of etagere. I am not quite sure how to mount lighting...overhead on beams?, next to displays?, up-lighting?, off of (nonexistent) sidewalls?, specialty lighting?...

I also want to make sure that I am investing in the right wattage and fireproof lighting for future shows. I welcome all display ideas and tips and suggestions. My understanding is that I need to find a way to connect lighting together due to outlet limitations.

I currently do not have the sidewalls to differentiate my booth from the neighbor....tips appreciated there, too. I definitely want to tone down the visual stimulation overload and truly highlight my work. Thank you in advance....

A few years back, I mounted a rail lamp kit on a 3X8 piece of plywood. It hung inside the booth the the booth by short chains. The rail was s shaped and allowed a variety of spots or floods to be directed in the booth. The kits are at Lowes or most lighting stores, and the rest is pretty simple. You can get them for a variety of bulb types.

Archived