Shino And Celadon Rough Patches In Cone 10 Gas Reduction

Michelle NY

Hello,

I am firing my work in a studio where I take class. The studio makes the glazes and does the firings. I love the combination of using shino with celadon where the celadon slightly overlaps the shino. I used to have great results but lately there are some rough spots where the glazes overlap. I have experienced this on bowls made using both white stoneware and porcelain. I am dipping half the bowl into shino and letting the shino dry for about 1-2 hours. Then I dip the other half in celadon. The rough spots are on both the outside and inside of the bowl but it seems worse inside.

The glaze recipes can be found on either of the the following links:

http://www.greenwichhouse.org/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=39879

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4p1TaQ-Sb9sJ:www.greenwichhouse.org/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx%3FID%3D39879+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

1) Adam Welch's Averaged Shino (AKA New Spotted Shino)

2) Nelson's Celadon

Has anyone experienced this with shino and celadon? Any tips?

Thanks so much!!!

Some glazes do not always play nice with other glazes. Shino more often not, in my experience. The soda ash in the shino is the culprit, as many glazes just can't handle a bunch of soluble salt added to them. Try switching the order in which they are applied and see fi that helps. Otherwise, move on to a different combination.

Pottery girl ,

You can't use the words shino and celadon without posting pictures.

Is anyone else having problems. What clay? Any changes from previous results.

I've been testing shinos for a while now. Beautiful but doesn't play well with others.

Also as my shino gets older the characteristics change.

Welcome tell us more about yourself. Where u from. How long u playing clay, ceramic influences, do you use a splash pan?.......

Great site ..... Can you get us the porcelain recipe?

I had that exact thing: gustin shino with tom buck celadon over: they made a rough, crinkly, flaky bad thing:

eutectics make it tough to guess since you won't know exactly how much the 2 glazes  are interacting.

Too bad too because it was mostly on the rims where they went funny, but looked lovely where they worked.

Archived