Borax And Kiln Shelf Wash

Babs

I've been given a large bin of borax, does anyone have recipes in C03 , or C5/6 range which uses this chemical and wouldn't mind sharing with me. I use white earthenware and terracotta clays. Wouldn't mind a stable honey glaze.

Is there a cheap, well cheaper than commercial, recipe for kiln shelf wash?

Thanks Babs

This has come up before and many replied with their recipes. Mine is 50/50 silica and kaolin and I add. 5% alumina hydrate. You could search the topic for more results.

As for the borax, it is a low temp. Flux. There are raku recipes that use it. I remember a copper red high fire recipe that used it. you will just have to look at recipes til you see one with borax.

there are hundreds if not thousands of glazes that use raw borax in the recipe.  my students are working mostly at earthenware temps/^04, so we use quite a bit of borax since it's a low temp flux.  there are definitely a lot that use a borax frit, like #3134, but raw borax powder comes up just as often in many of our recipes.  since there's so many, if you have an idea of what type of glaze recipe you want, i might be able to help.

at midrange temps/cone 5-6 you will see significantly less borax content in glazes since it tends to melt at such a low temp, which usually causes running issues at anything higher than maybe ^2.

basic kiln wash for electrics would be 50/50 epk and silica, adding 5% alumina like mentioned will make it even better.  doesn't get any cheaper or simpler than that recipe.

Thanks people, much appreciated.

The borax is the raw stuff, I fire to two temps C5/6 and to C03.

A base recipe for C03 would be a great help.

The egyyptian paste will be another pathway I'll play with , got some nichrome wire ,and have beaded up paste before in the distant past but I have a big bucketful of this stuff and would like to use it up this life time, yes, gifts can put presssure on one, and my shed isn't looking any bigger from this last bunch, but an even older potter was looking mighty pleased with her cleared out shed!

Thanks again.

Thanks Perkolator,

well: moderate to low fluidity

Transparent for the honey glaze as I impress and carve surfaces and wash/rub back with mang. and iron. I seem to lose the intensity of the iron when I apply glaze... 

Shiny/satin is good for those wares.

An opaque satin base would be great too..

Is Borax used in C5/6 glazes or does it flux too much? I do use a Boron frit so I guess that answers that question?

Any recipes for a true black underslip for these temps. in that notebok of yours? Should get it in print!

Babs

I'll have to look hard for some midrange glazes using borax, I'm not saying there won't be any, but it's definitely less common due to how low of melting point borax has.  Borax itself is kind of like a "fireplace glaze material" since it melts at like 1350*F and fireplace can get somewhere around maybe 1400*F.

Two good clear transparent glazes that we use are (NOT tested for functional ware):

^04 Zimms

80 #3134

10 Borax

10 EPK

- moderate fluidity, there's a lot of flux in this one.  Honey color might be 2-4% red iron added.

^04 Gloss

30 Borax

30 Cornwall Stone

30 #3124

10 EPK

- slightly stiffer.  Same percentages iron for honey amber/browns.

Black slip

25 C-Red Clay

25 Banta Clay

25 OM-4 Ball Clay

10 Manganese Dioxide

10 #6600 Best Black Mason Stain

5  Black Iron Oxide

- great black slip has pretty much full firing range.

Good luck!

those are actually from me.  When I posted it up on Thursday, I was between like 3 different user names because the forums were all messed up.

you can probably use the black slip with functional ware, but the glazes will need to be tested.  personally, i wouldn't consider much earthenware food-safe unless maybe it was on a low-fire body with a well-tested glaze.  many of the glazes that I have are not considered food-safe because we are making 95% sculpture in our studio and aesthetics are priority over food-safety.

Archived