Question About Front Loading Nabertherm Kiln

I have a lead on a 6 year old kiln called a Nabertherm 150. It is a bit difficult trying to find in depth info on this kiln. We are talking a front loading kiln bartlett controller and usually costs 8,000 but I am looking at it for a fraction. The kiln looks really good in the photos, except the coils are wound on a rod and they look a little tangly. The owner has noted that one coil needs to be replaced for about 200 bucks.

I was wondering what you all might know about this kiln or front loaders for that matter.I can't find personal opinions or experiences with this company in the ways of their products or customer service. Any information will be very helpful.

Here is some company info about the kiln.

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/NABERTHERM-N150-KILN-p/nn150.htm

Great quality kiln: the 150 is about 7 cu feet: it is a massive unit for a 7 foot kiln but very well insulated, very well made.

I usually sell these only to industrial clients because the are big and heavy and EXPENSIVE.

Fredricksons are equally good for a lot less money: less money probably mostly because the inbound freight from Germany is big bucks , so the Nabertherms are a tough sell:

Often an industrial client already has a Naber in place wants the same exact thing so they do not have any changes to their firing regiment even though it is a pricey way to go.

If you can get it for small money, it will certainly be excellent even at cone 10 for a long time.

Replacement elements are 4 times the price of a normal element even though they are just A1 so that is an added expense to owning one.

Since most of these do come from industry: you will need to be sure you know the voltage and phase of the thing: industrial kilns (or furnaces or ovens as the industrial guys like to call them) are often 3 phase. and often 208 v. If you are putting this in a residential area it is very highly likely that you have 240volt/single phase power:

If you have to change it to 240 from 208 you probably would need a complete set of elements (big bucks: maybe $1200)

If you have to change it from 3 phase to single: more big bucks.

But if you can get it for a song, and the voltage and phase are right and you have a way to move a 700 pound unit that cannot be taken apart: you will have the nicest kiln on the block by far !

tim

sheffield pottery x20

Archived