Student Wheel?

I am thinking about buying another wheel or two and taking on some students in my studio.  I already have two wheels and have started with two students for now but I would like to eventually have 4-6 students at a time.  I used to teach beginner classes of 10 students at the community guild I was part of prior to my move but there really isn't the opportunity for that around here.  

I am wondering if there are any suggestions on what kind of wheel to look into getting. I have been looking for second hand and haven't found any yet.  Should I just keep an eye out for second hand wheels or is it worth investing in new?  If I go with new what kind of wheels would you recommend for students?  I have two shimpo wheels a VL Whisper and an older model like the RK.

I would go with Whispers, as they are quiet. Difficult to talk over a room full of whirring wheels. I am not partial to Shimpos for a teaching situation, as they can reverse, and half the time the student's wheel is rotating clock-wise instead of counter-clock-wise.

TJR.

I would go with Whispers, as they are quiet. Difficult to talk over a room full of whirring wheels. I am not partial to Shimpos for a teaching situation, as they can reverse, and half the time the student's wheel is rotating clock-wise instead of counter-clock-wise.

TJR.

Pfff, tell me about it.  Then again, I have the same problem with my one kick and one treadle wheel.  The sad thing is, when I am asked for help on a clockwise spinning wheel, I'll struggle a bit to help the student, until I realize that it's going the "wrong" way.

Ben;

I never thought about it, but kick wheels and treadle wheels would have the same problem.

I am embarassed to say that I don't know which state is the "hawkeye state."

TJR.

Yes indeed.  It's less of a problem, with the kick wheel, as a majority of the students are right handed, which means, they tend to use their right foot automatically, for the kicking.  So they end up going counterclockwise, whether they were paying attention or not.  Now for the treadle, that's usually where I run into the problem.  That and the Shimpo RK wheel, which has the reversing motor.  To put the wheel into "Forward", you have to turn the switch backwards, which the students never seems to remember.

And the "Hawkeye State" is Iowa.......And for the record, we do not grow potatoes.  That's Idaho.  It's amazing how many people here in the States, mess that up.

Thanks Ben, Neil and TJR,

I have ended up finding both a Brent CXC and a Pacifica 400 for sale used about half the price for them new and they are both located right near each other about 2.5 hours from my house.  The hubby and I are going to be making the trip east during the long weekend here and likely coming home with 2 more wheels!  That would be great.  I have space for about 5-6 in my studio but I was hoping to have at least 4 so I am excited at the prospect of having them set and ready to go.  I learned on a Brent C and it was my favourite at the guild for a long time.

Thanks Ben, Neil and TJR,

I have ended up finding both a Brent CXC and a Pacifica 400 for sale used about half the price for them new and they are both located right near each other about 2.5 hours from my house.  The hubby and I are going to be making the trip east during the long weekend here and likely coming home with 2 more wheels!  That would be great.  I have space for about 5-6 in my studio but I was hoping to have at least 4 so I am excited at the prospect of having them set and ready to go.  I learned on a Brent C and it was my favourite at the guild for a long time.

Justa;

If I had a choice between a Brent and a Pacifica, I would go with the Brent CXC, hands down. I have been using my Brent CXC for over 35 years now. No problems to report.

Ben;

I never thought about it, but kick wheels and treadle wheels would have the same problem.

TJR.

Yes indeed.  It's less of a problem, with the kick wheel, as a majority of the students are right handed, which means, they tend to use their right foot automatically, for the kicking.  So they end up going counterclockwise, whether they were paying attention or not.  Now for the treadle, that's usually where I run into the problem.  That and the Shimpo RK wheel, which has the reversing motor.  To put the wheel into "Forward", you have to turn the switch backwards, which the students never seems to remember.

And the "Hawkeye State" is Iowa.......And for the record, we do not grow potatoes.  That's Idaho.  It's amazing how many people here in the States, mess that up.

Ben;

We drove through Iowa on the way to NCECA in Witchta Kansa. We saw lots of corn and hogs. Stopped off at one of the guy's parents' house and had a roast pork dinner. We might have had corn-maybe too early in the year, and not picked yet.

Same kind of light as where I live.I'll have to remember.. Hawkeye State.

TJR.

Ben;

TJR.

Ben;

We drove through Iowa on the way to NCECA in Witchta Kansa. We saw lots of corn and hogs. Stopped off at one of the guy's parents' house and had a roast pork dinner. We might have had corn-maybe too early in the year, and not picked yet.

Same kind of light as where I live.I'll have to remember.. Hawkeye State.

TJR.

We definitely have both corn and hogs, and both are delicious. If you want some good sweet corn, the Peaches and Cream variety, is probably the best. and if you want some good pork, find a place that makes a good breaded pork tenderloin.

Archived