• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

There is a teaching job k-12 in Houston at MD Anderson Cancer Treatment center

http://www.linkedin....=27VvMEzynI25U1

Houston is a great city.

Marcia

#2 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

Houston is a great city.

Marcia

When I drive from GA to CA I detour about 1,000 miles to avoid driving though Texas.

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#3 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Houston is a great city.

Marcia

When I drive from GA to CA I detour about 1,000 miles to avoid driving though Texas.

Jim;

I am apalled. Go drink another cup of coffee and come back when you are in a better mood.

TJR.

#4 minspargal

minspargal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPort Aransas, Tx

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

I will pass it on. Houston has way too much traffic for me but my daughter knows some teachers looking for work.

#5 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

I agree that the scenery is not great and driving from New Orleans to LA through Texas is a long flat drive.
But jobs are not so available. Just wanted to let people know. It is a good art scene in Houston. NCECA proved that.
The drive from Brownsville to Houston is flat scrub barrens. to Austin there is a little hill country with cattle now being overrun by oil development.You'd have to detour 1000 miles at least because texas is that wide. Going the Southern route on I8 or I 10 you can stop at all the many border checkpoints..they make you stop.

Marcia

#6 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

I thought that part of the american constitution was being able to travel unmolested through your own country? T

#7 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Its part of Homeland Security. I have to pass through a border check about 80 miles north of the border between Brownsville and Corpus Christi en route to just about anywhere I might be going.I am at the southern most tip of Texas.They are looking for drugs, weapons or illegals.
Marcia

#8 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

I bet all that stuff you use for your raku, pit and obvara firings really confuses them.

E pur si muove.

#9 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Whenever you say "border", I think you are referring to the Canadian/American border. I guess you mean the Mexican border-duh.

There's a joke in here somewhere, but I don't want to be racist. Please don't say that I am the joke, Jim.

TJR.

#10 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Whenever you say "border", I think you are referring to the Canadian/American border. I guess you mean the Mexican border-duh.
There's a joke in here somewhere, but I don't want to be racist. Please don't say that I am the joke, Jim.
TJR.

No sadly I think they are talking about borders or should i say controls between states. I would ask homeland if they have heard of the 4th amendment. i don't even think legally they can ask you any questions without cause and certainly not search you... But hey i am just a great whiter! T

#11 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

TJR.

I wouldn't do that, even though you crazy Canucks kicked me out of Canada two times in one night in 1971.

Jim

E pur si muove.

#12 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

TJR.

No sadly I think they are talking about borders or should i say controls between states. I would ask homeland if they have heard of the 4th amendment. i don't even think legally they can ask you any questions without cause and certainly not search you... But hey i am just a great whiter! T

All the states bordering Mexico have those checkpoints now. California used to stop you at its border to check for live plants and I think also for fruit and nuts.

Jim

E pur si muove.

#13 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

The highway has to pass through the check points complete with lots of armed guards and canines. The one I go through to any points North has two and three lanes depending on how heavy the traffic is. I know a haz-mats business owner who has been called to go through haz-mats to remove tons of marijuana from inside haz-mat tankers. Lots of arms heading South but that isn't checked until you cross the Rio Grande. I live 2 miles from Matamoros, Mexico.But hey! It isn't like that up North in Houston, San Antonio or Austin and Dallas.
Marcia

#14 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

TJR.

I wouldn't do that, even though you crazy Canucks kicked me out of Canada two times in one night in 1971.

Jim

Hey;

I was only in Grade 12 in 1971. Wasn't me.What were you up to?

TJR.

#15 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

The highway has to pass through the check points complete with lots of armed guards and canines. The one I go through to any points North has two and three lanes depending on how heavy the traffic is. I know a haz-mats business owner who has been called to go through haz-mats to remove tons of marijuana from inside haz-mat tankers. Lots of arms heading South but that isn't checked until you cross the Rio Grande. I live 2 miles from Matamoros, Mexico.But hey! It isn't like that up North in Houston, San Antonio or Austin and Dallas.
Marcia

Marcia;

We drove down to Houston one Christmas, about 3 years ago. We stayed in Houston. I accidentally came across a small chapel. As I was sitting in there, I realized that I was surrounded by Mark Rothko paintings.Friends of my wife's from university let us stay in their house. Left the key under the mat. Their neighbours invited us over for a huge pot-luck meal. I remember rice and beans, which I had never eaten before. I bought a cactus in the local store and sauteed it for one meal. Guess what it tasted like-...a cactus. No flavour at all.We ate barbecue, and went to the Alamo. Had a great time. Of course the difficult part was 3 days of driving back to the cold. Have to do it again.

TJR.

#16 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

I found a nice restaurant during Nceca up around 6th & west of Yale.
I have Napolitas cactus in my yard..about 15 tall. The younger leaves are what is used. And it need s a lot of additives for interest.

I took my friends, Russel Fouts and Marta Matray , to the Rothko chapel during NCECA as well.
It is a wonderful place to "be".

Marcia

#17 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

TJR.

Jim

Hey;

I was only in Grade 12 in 1971. Wasn't me.What were you up to?

TJR.

I was on my way to spend the summer in Tilsonburg, Ontario.

E pur si muove.

#18 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

[quote name="OffCenter" post="40749" timestamp="1376426315"][quote name="TJR" post="40737" timestamp="1376421242"]
TJR.
[/quote]

Jim[/

TJR.

Jim

I think i learned about that incident in school.....T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users