• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 van

van

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

Because of arthritis, hand surgery, and stroke, even with therapy I work with a weak and twisted left hand; thumb will not raise from palm right now. i get fair results by rotating the wheel clockwise (Asian) method. I straddle the wheel propping my left foot on 2 bricks and bracing my arm on knee to get leverage. Torn left rotator cuff does not help. Are there tips or tricks anyone with similar circumstances can suggest? Posted Image Hope so; potting is good therapy. van

#2 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

Have you thought about a ball opener or Axners arm that fits on your wheel? A friend of mine made one easily and it has saved his thumbs and arms.

#3 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,884 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

Because of arthritis, hand surgery, and stroke, even with therapy I work with a weak and twisted left hand; thumb will not raise from palm right now. i get fair results by rotating the wheel clockwise (Asian) method. I straddle the wheel propping my left foot on 2 bricks and bracing my arm on knee to get leverage. Torn left rotator cuff does not help. Are there tips or tricks anyone with similar circumstances can suggest? Posted Image Hope so; potting is good therapy. van

When in college-too many years ago! A fellow student(girl) had a left arm that ended just above the wrist. She was trying to learn how to throw and tried all sorts of things from a paddle like glove with a wooden insert to centering with the elbow with the lower arm perpendicular to the wheel head upwards. It forced her to get really close to the wheel on that side, and a standing position for throwing worked best. You might try it.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#4 azjoe

azjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

You might want to watch a you-tube video for some ideas... it shows a man throwing a plate using only one hand. (Well, to be accurate, he uses both hands, but only one at a time... so, theoretically, it would be possible to do it completely one-handed.)

Throw plate one-handed

#5 van

van

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

Have you thought about a ball opener or Axners arm that fits on your wheel? A friend of mine made one easily and it has saved his thumbs and arms.

Looked this up - pricey. I would like to know how your friend made his if you can find out. Thanks for your advice and help.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 van

van

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

You might want to watch a you-tube video for some ideas... it shows a man throwing a plate using only one hand. (Well, to be accurate, he uses both hands, but only one at a time... so, theoretically, it would be possible to do it completely one-handed.)

Throw plate one-handed

#7 van

van

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Throw plate one-handed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users