Nutmeg ^6 Glaze

gjt

I tried mixing up the Nutmeg ^6 recipe from Ceramics Monthly but did not get the same results as the picture. I did not get the rich, opaque orange color; instead I got more of a yellow- orangish thin color that, while sort of attractive, was disappointing. I fire to a bit more than ^6 electric, sometimes with a slow cool (for mattes) and sometimes without. Any ideas what I might be missing???

• 4 weeks later...

What color clay did you use? I have used this on white and light and gotten that results, but on brown or dark clay I get a much darker, orangy brown. Maybe that is the diff?

I use mostly Highwater Speckled Brownstone but those are still my results. Any other possibilities? Thanks for your time.

I've use Nutmeg on both white and red/dark brown clay bodies, porcelain and stoneware(Standard 112, Highwater Red Rock, Standard 266). The does vary from clay body to clayt body.

You might have a glaze thickness issue -- maybe too thin. Prepare some test tiles and do a series of progressively longer counts to get varying thicknesses and fire them to see if that mak es a difference. If the glaze is too thin, then you can let some water evaporate before using it again.

I've use Nutmeg on both white and red/dark brown clay bodies, porcelain and stoneware(Standard 112, Highwater Red Rock, Standard 266). The does vary from clay body to clayt body.

You might have a glaze thickness issue -- maybe too thin. Prepare some test tiles and do a series of progressively longer counts to get varying thicknesses and fire them to see if that mak es a difference. If the glaze is too thin, then you can let some water evaporate before using it again.

I second the above. I had nutmeg come out looking great on a test tile then did a set of mugs in it and the nutmeg on the mugs didn't look as good, not even close. The difference was that on the test tile it was thin and on the mugs it was just a bit thicker.

Jim

how do you make a nutmeg glaze?i want to know the raw materials used in making the glaze, the %compositions for the nutmeg glaze, maturing temperature,also is it the nutmeg used for food, that's used for the making of the glaze?also i want to know the role nutmeg plays in the formation of the glaze, also the kiln used in firing of the glaze?the maturing temperature for the glaze?........thank you

how do you make a nutmeg glaze?i want to know the raw materials used in making the glaze, the %compositions for the nutmeg glaze, maturing temperature,also is it the nutmeg used for food, that's used for the making of the glaze?also i want to know the role nutmeg plays in the formation of the glaze, also the kiln used in firing of the glaze?the maturing temperature for the glaze?........thank you

The nutmeg is just in the name. Here is the recipe:

Gerstley Borate ... 7.9

Talc ... 3.48

Soda Feldspar ... 4.95

EPK ... 1.25

Silica ... 24.88

Dolomite ... 17.47

Spodumene ... 17.47

Frit 3134 ... 5.10

OM#4 ... 17.47

Red Iron Ox. ... 0.80

Yellow Ochre ... 2.43

Tin Ox. ... 3.36

Bentonite ... 1.45

Jim

jimsandefur.com

post-837-12866319658556_thumb.jpg

post-837-12866319658556_thumb.jpg

This is the recipe I use; it is from Richard Busch via Bill van Gilder:

Richard's Nutmeg, ^6 Oxidation

Dolomite: 23.3%

Spodumene (Australian): 23.3%

OM-4 Ball Clay: 23.3%

Silica (325 mesh): 23.3%

Ferro Frit 3134: 6.8%

Total, base glaze: 100.0%

Red Iron Oxide: 1.07%

Yellow Ochre: 3.24%

Tin Oxide: 4.85%

Bentonite: 1.90%

Opaque, semi-matte finish

Here is a link to Richard's website: http://www.glenfiddichfarm.com/

His recipe was formulated to give a wood-fire look to ^6 oxidation.

Archived