Sign in to follow this  
jpclay

kiln shelves

jpclay    0

I need to buy some new kiln shelves and I am considering lighter shelving. I do not need a whole new set just some additions, but I am concerned that firing with two different kinds of shelves will cause uneven heating because of different heat absorption. Is there any good reason to stick to the same shelving I already have or can I mix it up?

Thanks!

Julia

TJR    359

Julia;

You don't say what temperature you are firing to. Also, are you firing electric or gas?Reduction,oxidation?

TJR.

I need to buy some new kiln shelves and I am considering lighter shelving. I do not need a whole new set just some additions, but I am concerned that firing with two different kinds of shelves will cause uneven heating because of different heat absorption. Is there any good reason to stick to the same shelving I already have or can I mix it up?

Julia, that is a good question. It is okay to fire shelves of different types in the same kiln. If a thinner shelf needs more thermal density so that it matches the other shelves, just load more mass on that thinner shelf.

If you are making production ware and have developed a precise loading pattern, where each shelf has a set number of pieces and is placed in the same part of the kiln for every firing, then a different shelf type may

disturb your loading plan. Otherwise it won't matter.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Min    783

I usually use 5 shelves in my front loading kiln, acme marls. I picked up 2 Corelite shelves to try out. Haven't noticed any difference in the firings, I use the Corelite for the top 2 shelves since those are the ones I have to lift the furthest. I'm a shorty and my back appreciates the lighter shelves. ^7 electric

Min

jpclay    0

Thank you for the responses. I am firing in an electric to cone 6. I am not doing production, so I have some flexibility, but I also do not want to have to be fussy and adjust the loading because I have different shelves.

Julia

Mark C.    1,807

The thinest and lightest are advancers by far

The cheaper other option is the hollow corelites

Mark