Wheel Head

I picked up a kick wheel recently and have had a bit of trouble having bats stick as well as centering. Well, I broke out the level and found that it has a pretty bad warp in the head. The problem is that the wheel head is welded to the shaft, I don't have the type of tools to get the head off. The other problem is that the wheel head is not drilled to fit standard sized bats so I cannot use pins nor will they stick due to the warp.

I have been trying to think of a cost effective solution. I was thinking that I could drill a 1 inch thick wood circle onto the wheel from the bottom and use this as my wheel head. I would use shellac to seal it so I could throw directly on it as well as drill in bat pins from the top to fit standard bats.

I am thinking out loud here but was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and how it was fixed or if anyone has an idea that may be more effective.

-Amanda

can you add more details? is the head itself metal or wood supported by metal? can the head be surrounded by a tightly fitting wrap of something that can be filled with plaster to start? like using a cottle to make a plaster bat. i cannot post pictures but maybe you could show us?

The wheel head is metal supported/welded to a metal shaft which is also welded to the flywheel. Also, the edges of the wheel head is only about a 1/3 inch thick. It is thicker at the base where it is welded and the thickness tapers out, if that make sense. I don't have a way to post photos but the kick wheel is designed very similar to a Thomas Stuart kick wheel except it is all welded and does not come apart like the Stuart.

Throw a thin pad of clay (maybe quarter inch) on your wheel head. Doesn't have to be perfectly circular, just level.

Score it and attach your bats to that by centering and tapping down.

It gets rid of your wobbly wheel head and your bat problem. Many potters ONLY use bats this way.

Maybe you could attach a 5/8" birch plywood to the wheel head leveling it with J.B.Weld as it seals it to the wheel head. Then using a saber saw, stabilize your saw into position and cut the plywood round. You could still drill holes for longer 1/4" bat pins You can get them at most hardware stores. I have really long ones for my bat that is 2" thick to raise large bats above my splash pan.

Be sure to sand the edge of the would to avoid splinters.

Marcia

I just got my hands on a drill with a bit that would go through steel and just finished drilling the head to fit standard bats. Hopefully that should take care of the problem, otherwise, I'm going to put a birch wood top on it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

-Amanda

It's a stretch but have you tried placing wedges under legs of wheel to level base? Then see if spindle is plumb. Then recheck wheel head?

Yes, I first checked the level from the base but it is definitely a warp in the wheel head.

I just got my hands on a drill with a bit that would go through steel and just finished drilling the head to fit standard bats. Hopefully that should take care of the problem, otherwise, I'm going to put a birch wood top on it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

-Amanda

when drilling metal keep adding lubricating oil. 3-in-1 works fine.

Marcia

Archived