Gallery etiquette

I have my pots in one gallery which I like a lot and which seems to sell it fairly well. However, there is another gallery across the street, and one two blocks down that I would kind of like to approach, both having a strong ceramic/pottery presence. however, it doesn't seem right to place work in venues so close together, and may not be fair to the first gallery. It is a medium sized town. When I initially placed my work in the first gallery they asked it I had it anywhere else in town, and I said no, which was true. Should I ask them if they mind if I approach one other gallery? Should they handle my work exclusively? What do you think?

You might be risking over-exposure . . . two or three galleries in one town, and in close proximity to each other. I don't think it hurts to inquire . . . maybe find out if another gallery might offer a better financial arrangement, etc. Then you can decide whether to stay with the current gallery or go with another . . . but I would not put work in another gallery that close to the one; you might end up with no gallery presence at all.

Having more than one venue in a medium-sized town is ok, but across the street and two blocks down are way too close. If the first gallery asked if you had other galleries in town, then they clearly care about that. If it were me, I would not ask if they minded if I approached the other venues. I would let them handle my work exclusively, especially if it is going well.

A gallery that is a good fit for you is a really valuable thing! Treat it well.

In the future, if you ever feel like the first gallery is not working out anymore, then it would be appropriate to pursue other opportunities. Lots of galleries have a cycle ... they are always looking for new artists to keep their stores current, which means existing artists might get cycled out. It's natural. So keep your options open in the future, but for now be a good business partner to the first gallery.

Mea

I own a large General Store/Gallery and wouldn't care if you put your wares elsewhere...but I think you would over saturate like others have said. You want to be special so keep your work to one gallery. I let my consignees promote their work how they like in the shop. Maybe you need to spruce up your display where you are and feel good about it.

When your represented by a gallery, they have exclusive rights within area. How you define the area is another issue. In your case I feel that exclusive representation for the "area" is implied.

In my opinion, and experience with galleries (not pottery), it would be un professional, to get representation in close proximity.

Best to end relationship and start new one, or just stay. Spend that time marketing your self to markets further away. Also ask your current gallery if it would be ok for you to market work in next town over. They will appreciate your professionalism.

Ps. My experience is other objects d' art, and not specifically pottery. Rules will vary on how formal the gallery.

I agree ... If your first gallery is selling well, then stay exclusive. If your sales dry up there, then you could try other options but right now I suspect that even asking would cost you respect in their eyes. In the future, you could tie in a certain $ number in sales to any exclusivity deal ... In other words if they sell at least x$ a year, they keep you as an exclusive within x number of miles.

Archived