Sign in to follow this  
Diane Puckett

Kiln shelf repair

Two of my test glazes ran onto a kiln shelf. I swear the glazes ate partially through the shelf. I know I have to grind out all the glaze. This is leaving a gouge in the shelf. Is there something I can use to permanently fill that area before decorating with kiln wash?

gypsy    0

Two of my test glazes ran onto a kiln shelf. I swear the glazes ate partially through the shelf. I know I have to grind out all the glaze. This is leaving a gouge in the shelf. Is there something I can use to permanently fill that area before decorating with kiln wash?

You know I have the same problem...pitted kiln shelves...I'm thinking kiln cement might work but am anxious to hear what others think about this too.

perkolator    54

just wash right over it. if the shelf gets really bad after repeat cleanups, simply buy another shelf and keep the old one as a "waste shelf" that you don't mind messing up. standard kiln shelves are pretty cheap IMO when you compare it to the high-tech ones out now.

i always make students test glazes in a pre-fired firing tray or saggar simply to avoid this exact problem.

Mark C.    1,807

You could also fill it with the special ITC filler and wash over it . This stuff is spendy but works great.

Mark