Trimming

I started to throw a pot and it collapsed on me, I really like the way it looks this way and i have plans for it, the bottom still really thick, so I need to trim some out, my question is How do I trim this, I dont have a Chuck big enough for it, any ideas?

Thanks, and may the clay Gods be with you.

post-6303-136614762612_thumb.jpg

post-6303-136614762612_thumb.jpg

I started to throw a pot and it collapsed on me, I really like the way it looks this way and i have plans for it, the bottom still really thick, so I need to trim some out, my question is How do I trim this, I dont have a Chuck big enough for it, any ideas?

Throw a chuck like Chris said but don't wait for it to harden. Instead put plastic wrap over the wet clay. The wet clay is easy to mold around the piece being trimmed and when done it's ready to be wedged up.

Jim

Throw a chuck like Chris said but don't wait for it to harden. Instead put plastic wrap over the wet clay. The wet clay is easy to mold around the piece being trimmed and when done it's ready to be wedged up.

Jim

Brilliant!!biggrin.gif

I actually trim things upright pretty often... Especially when I don't have the right-sized chuck and don't want to use a ton of clay to make one.

You need a non-absorbant bat, and just a little bit of water on the bat (I usually just wipe it with a sopping sponge).

Level the bottom of the pot as much as you can, and then (with both hands) rub it in small circles on the bat+water. A lot of people use this technique to smooth out / level the bottom of pots.

If you keep at it, there will be a point where the clay absorbs most of the water and adheres to the bat. It will become VERY hard to move, but you can still do small adjustments to center it.

I trim it upright like this, and then do any finishing on the bottom by hand... Carving out any extra clay on the bottom by hand with foam and a banding wheel.

Thanks Everyone for your input, both are great ideas, Thanks a lot for your help. I think i might try the upright trimming sounds like the fastest way since the clay is at the right time to trim.

You all are awesome and may the clay Gods be with you.

Pompeyo.

I actually trim things upright pretty often... Especially when I don't have the right-sized chuck and don't want to use a ton of clay to make one.

You need a non-absorbant bat, and just a little bit of water on the bat (I usually just wipe it with a sopping sponge).

Level the bottom of the pot as much as you can, and then (with both hands) rub it in small circles on the bat+water. A lot of people use this technique to smooth out / level the bottom of pots.

If you keep at it, there will be a point where the clay absorbs most of the water and adheres to the bat. It will become VERY hard to move, but you can still do small adjustments to center it.

I trim it upright like this, and then do any finishing on the bottom by hand... Carving out any extra clay on the bottom by hand with foam and a banding wheel.

This option worked out perfectly for me, thanks a lot. I stuck the pot directly onto the wheel head and it worked like a charm.

This option worked out perfectly for me, thanks a lot. I stuck the pot directly onto the wheel head and it worked like a charm.

So glad to hear :-) Happy potting!

Jim

I like you more and more every time you post. This is a wonderful idea! biggrin.gif

Archived