When to leave a gallery.?

How long to give a new gallery venture before ending your arrangement with them.

Some of my new ventures have played out pretty well , others, not so well, over the same time frame, 6 months. How long would you stay with a gallery that has produced poor sales?

I would give them at least 12 months. Some businesses are very seasonal. After that it would be fair for you to end it. It sounds like a consignment arrangement (?) these can be awkward to end. It's like breaking up with someone. This is one of the reasons why I don't do any consignment anymore.

Mea

I agree-One year is the norm.

Mark

I agree. If your product isn't moving and your gallery / outlet hasn't contacted you or tried to work with you, it shows that they also don't know how to run a business well. It works both ways, retail space costs and if they aren't promoting you , they aren't promoting themselves properly, move on. T

depends on the contractual agreement you have. Some galleries that have you in constant placement require a year commitment, some you can break after 30 days of written notice. Check with the gallery if you don't have a written agreement and see what they consider enough time and try to negotiate from there. But you know, if you don't have a contract more than likely a 30 day written notice of intent should be fine.

Wish you luck.

Archived