ruined glaze from too much epsom solution?

Ginny C

Help, please!! I probably used too much Epsom salt solution while trying to fix a newly purchased glaze, and I’d like to know if there’s a way to undo the damage!

Coyote Ice Blue glaze for cone six. When I opened the pint jar the glaze was badly settled and hard, so after digging it out into a bowl it took several splashes (maybe 2 teaspoons?) of the solution to soften itenough to sieve it. It then seemed okay so I brushed it on three nice pots.

My kiln seems to reach cone 7 when I set it for 6, so I setit for cone 5, slow, 5 minute hold. When I opened it, the cone pack showed it had not reached cone 5! And the pots looked awful—rough and not blue or shiny at all. Refired them to cone 6 and they are much better, but still have some underfired areas. (There might be not enough glaze in those areas...)

I decided to brush on more glaze before re-firing them yet again! But when I opened the jar the glaze had solidified into a mass the consistency of soft clay. I assume it’s from too much Epsom salt solution!! Is there anything to be done to make this glaze useable now??

I’m going to contact Coyote, but I wonder if any of you helpful potters out there can advise me!!? One of the pieces is a really lovely yarn bowl that I’m donating in a few days to a silent auction for a good cause. If I can figure out how, I’ll attach a photo.

Ginny Clark

post-1066-13653656197_thumb.jpg

post-1066-13653656197_thumb.jpg

It may not be what you were hoping for but, it's a very attractive yarn bowl. Don't think less of it, we all have preconceived notions of how we want the piece to turn out and sometimes we get happy accidents.

As for the epson salts, I don't think that's the issue.

Wyndham

Thanks for the kind words, Wyndham, but parts of the bowl are really rough...it is not acceptable as it is. I think it looks better in the photo than it is! My major question, though, is how to make the glaze useable again. It's not like the yoghurt consistency that some brushing glazes are. This one now cannot possibly be brushed on...it is too stiff.

If you just want to get rid of the epsom salts from the mix you can let it settle, drain off some water (which will contain dissolved epsom salts) then add that same volume of fresh water back to the container. OR add a measured volume of water , let it settle out then drain off that same amount of water.

Repeating this process will lower the concentration of epsom salts.

NOW, be forewarned, if this glaze contains any ingredients that are soluble you will be washing these out too.

My favorite suspender for brushing is a CMC gum and bentonite mix in place of part of the water but I wonder if this glaze was not already intended for brushing and if so may contain it's own brushing additives.

Contact the manufacturer about that.

Ben

Archived