Raku Firing

First of all, as you might already know, in the Raku process you need to remove the pieces from the kiln while red hot. So, is it possible for you to do this safely, on the kiln you have available? If it is a top load big kiln I totally doubt it, if it is a real small kiln it might be doable. I don't know any other process where you can get the results of Raku, if you are looking for iridescence quality on your piece, you might consider overglazes, mother of pearl for example.

Best

Pompeyo Cepeda

post-6303-136510925444_thumb.jpg

post-6303-136510925444_thumb.jpg

Guest Big Electric Cat

Posting this link does not imply my endorsement of the techniques in it - "always use proper safety precautions when doing anything."

First of all, as you might already know, in the Raku process you need to remove the pieces from the kiln while red hot. So, is it possible for you to do this safely, on the kiln you have available? If it is a top load big kiln I totally doubt it, if it is a real small kiln it might be doable. I don't know any other process where you can get the results of Raku, if you are looking for iridescence quality on your piece, you might consider overglazes, mother of pearl for example.

Best

Pompeyo Cepeda

Yes, I understand it and so I was seeing if there was an alternative. The kiln looks like the one in the video that was posted.

Are you wanting an actual raku piece? That means you have to complete post-firing-reduction.

Are you wanting the work to "just look like a raku piece"? That, too can be achieved. How much effort are you willing to invest to achieve your desire?

Raku glazes frequently have a metallic look. Is this what you are looking for? Or is it the contrast between the glaze and the carbonized (black) clay body? Or is it the crackle effect that happens when hot pots hit cool air? Be specific in what you want and I will be specific in my reply, because all of this can be achieved.

waiting to hear from you, Shirley

Are you wanting an actual raku piece? That means you have to complete post-firing-reduction.

Are you wanting the work to "just look like a raku piece"? That, too can be achieved. How much effort are you willing to invest to achieve your desire?

Raku glazes frequently have a metallic look. Is this what you are looking for? Or is it the contrast between the glaze and the carbonized (black) clay body? Or is it the crackle effect that happens when hot pots hit cool air? Be specific in what you want and I will be specific in my reply, because all of this can be achieved.

waiting to hear from you, Shirley

I'm willing to put as much effort as needed. I want the carbonized black and some of the metalic look if possible.

Best

Pompeyo Cepeda

I disagree, it is definitely possibly to remove pieces from a large electric kiln safely. If you have proper ventilation, a face mask, leather jacket, leather or kevlar apron, cotton shirt, insulated kevlar gloves and arm guards, proper tongues, and have your hair back you can safely do raku in any kiln if you are pulling properly.

Darrel

Archived