#1 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have just recieved a glaze that we do not know the firing temperature, it is a mottled off-white matte glaze. Is there any way of finding out the firing temperature?

1384226_215924051918490_1181728069_n.jpg

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

I have just recieved a glaze that we do not know the firing temperature, it is a mottled off-white matte glaze. Is there any way of finding out the firing temperature?

Do you have the recipe or just the glaze?
if its just the glaze then testing is the only way I know.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Just a glaze from a friend of a friend Posted Image I thought that was the answer, just wanted to make sure I was not missing any tricks.

Thank you Mark Posted Image

1384226_215924051918490_1181728069_n.jpg

#4 perkolator

perkolator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

if you already know it's a matte off-white, what temp was this test fired to? it could be matte at ^6 and gloss at ^10 -- testing is really the only way to find out without any info like a recipe.
for safety, test it in either a saggar or firing tray to catch the glaze if it runs off the piece. i would probably test at ^04, ^6, and ^10 in that order. if it runs at ^6 then don't test at ^10 because of obvious reasons.

#5 AtomicAxe

AtomicAxe

Skilled Mud Bug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Definately fire your tests on a disk, standard clay slab with kiln wash on top is all that is needed. As far as determining ... just test. really only need to test your standard firingsif it doesn't work on those, you really don't need a special kiln load of just that unless it was something like a crystaline glaze or something easily as special firing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users