#1 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Is it better practice to apply oxides and underglazes to leather-hard greenware or bone-dry greenware? I have been doing a little experimentation and currently in the process of purchasing some underglazes and a transparent glaze to go over the top but I am wondering if I need to keep my work in the leather state or if I can just let them completely dry out before applying the underglaze/rawoxide

Thank you
Joel

#2 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Working on leather hard clay is always more pleasant than working on bone dry. Dry clay is fragile and brittle. Commercial underglazes are designed to fit all states of dryness, so it's really a personal preference. Why don't you try both states and see which you prefer?TJR.

#3 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

My least favorite time to apply underglazes is leather hard- poor coverage and slow drying. I prefer bisque, but will sometimes do bone dry if needed.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#4 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Posted Image Thanks for the help, my reason for using unfired work is so I can apply a transparent glaze over the top once it has been bisque. From reading a few topics on here it seems like a bad idea to try and underglaze and glaze at the same time.

If I am going to apply underglaze to a bisque I will then fire again to bisque temp before glazing or are there any temperature shortcuts Posted Image

#5 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I apply both underglaze and glaze to bisque with no problem. You don't need to fire between applications.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#6 perkolator

perkolator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

since underglaze has a decent clay content it can be used at pretty much any state of dryness. to add a third option for UG application, you can use many of them as "overglazes", where you'd glaze and then apply your color on top - this way you are less likely to smear your UG if you brush glaze on. doesn't work with every color/brand/clay/combo, so test it multiple ways

#7 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

There are recipes for underglazes and / or slips for using onset, dry, leather hard or bisque. Some commercial products have a wide range for use. It is always best to test.

Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users