Sign in to follow this  
Rebekah Krieger

layering purchased glaze

Does anyone know if it is bad to layer a clear (sahara) amoco glaze over a coyote satin finish glaze? I have the colors I need but I am pretty sure the person wanting the item (fruit bowl) wants glossy.

neilestrick    1,381

Putting a clear glaze over a satin glaze will not just gloss up the satin. They will blend and alter both glazes, essentially creating a third glaze. It doesn't work like underglazes, which don't melt and blend with the clear glaze.

Putting a clear glaze over a satin glaze will not just gloss up the satin. They will blend and alter both glazes, essentially creating a third glaze. It doesn't work like underglazes, which don't melt and blend with the clear glaze.

Thanks for answering another one of my questions :D

weeble    5

Mixing glazes is NOT a matter of A+B=C.... Sometimes A+B=Q... I use a nice transparent blue-green glaze I buy by the pint. I found if I put it over a white glaze, it produces a beautiful roiling blue and white, but it totally looses the green.

In other words, you won't really know what you're going to get until you do a trial.

Benzine    609

Mixing glazes is NOT a matter of A+B=C.... Sometimes A+B=Q... I use a nice transparent blue-green glaze I buy by the pint. I found if I put it over a white glaze, it produces a beautiful roiling blue and white, but it totally looses the green.

In other words, you won't really know what you're going to get until you do a trial.

Very good analogy. I always tell my students, glazes are not paint. Mixing blue and yellow, might give you green. But it could also give you pink.....I've never had that happen, with my glazes, but I think it illustrates the point.

.....Because of this discussion, I'm half way tempted to go and make some test tiles, with clear layered over top each of my other glazes.....