• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mrpeders

mrpeders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

I have an old SnoIndustires kiln model P22 with a spacer blank in the middle. Yesterday the top elements stopped firing, and my husband tells me that the electricity is going into top switch on the kiln, but not out. Does anyone have an idea where I can purchase a box for the top connection for this model? The other option is a new kiln, and I would love to have a digital model at a reasonable price. Any suggestions for home use kiln that gets fired 10-15 times a year? Thank you for your help.

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Here is a link to the owners manual with replacement part info.

http://pdfsb.com/sno...kiln p22 manual

You should be able to find what you need and call a variety of other kiln companies to see if what they have could be used. Is SnoIndustries
out of business?

Marcia

#3 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Do you mean an interbox plug, where the two sections plug into each other, or a power switch (low/med/high) in the top ring, or a relay?
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#4 mrpeders

mrpeders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Do you mean an interbox plug, where the two sections plug into each other, or a power switch (low/med/high) in the top ring, or a relay?

Thank you for answering. I was told Sears sold these kilns long ago. The part number is labeled Robert Shaw Controls Co. INF-240-31B, 15A-240 volt. My husband said it was on the top power switch. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#5 justanassembler

justanassembler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thank you for answering. I was told Sears sold these kilns long ago. The part number is labeled Robert Shaw Controls Co. INF-240-31B, 15A-240 volt. My husband said it was on the top power switch. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.patriot-s...owitem.cfm/6965

#6 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yep, you can still find pretty much anything Robert Shaw ever made, especially infinite switches. Sometimes the part numbers have been changed, but the replacement numbers are usually listed.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor

#7 mrpeders

mrpeders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

Yep, you can still find pretty much anything Robert Shaw ever made, especially infinite switches. Sometimes the part numbers have been changed, but the replacement numbers are usually listed.

In your experience, is it better to replace all electrical parts on older kilns when you do a repair?

#8 mrpeders

mrpeders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

#9 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

I always keep my old kiln repaired but if you wanting to go gas this might be a good time to switch. I have seen some for sale on potterbarter lately, you might sign up and see if any used gas kilns come up for sale in your area. Denice

#10 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

If you've got the cash go ahead and replace all the switches if it's an old kiln. They don't necessarily wear out at the same time, but if they're old you might as well change them and start fresh.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users