Propane kiln setup

Close to getting a pad poured for my 27 cf updratf propane kiln and I am starting to think about a cover structure. It will be next to a metal sided shop with an extension built off of that, so it will be in a corner if you can envision that. I was thinking a slanted metal roofed off of the main building.

1. Other thoughts?

2. If i were to build a chimney, would it help prevent stall out near cone ten in heavy reduction? What type of roof clearance from the top of the kiln would be required with a chimney?

3. If the chimney is a no go and the top of the kiln is 6 ft, any clearance suggestions? Roof Slanted away from building or doesn't matter?

I appreciate input from the collective wisdom!

Pictures of your chimneys or cover structures are helpful,

Thanks!

Brian

Here's mine.

I do need to put a vent above the flue at some point, but this works for me, and is fire safe for my area. Plus, when i move, it can go with me!

Close to getting a pad poured for my 27 cf updratf propane kiln and I am starting to think about a cover structure. It will be next to a metal sided shop with an extension built off of that, so it will be in a corner if you can envision that. I was thinking a slanted metal roofed off of the main building.

1. Other thoughts?

2. If i were to build a chimney, would it help prevent stall out near cone ten in heavy reduction? What type of roof clearance from the top of the kiln would be required with a chimney?

3. If the chimney is a no go and the top of the kiln is 6 ft, any clearance suggestions? Roof Slanted away from building or doesn't matter?

I appreciate input from the collective wisdom!

Pictures of your chimneys or cover structures are helpful,

Thanks!

Brian

post-757-136288316773_thumb.jpg

post-757-136288316773_thumb.jpg

Updrafts don't usually require a chimney. If you think you need to create a hood, here is an example of the old one at UT Brownsville. This is an Olsen updraft built in 1991 and being fired to the present. The top of the chimney of the hood went up above the roof line which you may need to consider.

Slant your attached shed rood away from your structure so it drains rain and snow away from building.

I suggest a hood not a chimney for venting thru roof and it will need to be flashed so snow melt and rain drain away not into hole.

You will need at least 2 or 3 more feet above kiln to fit hood. his is one area where more is better.

Mark

Archived