Speeding Up Motorized Kick wheel

I have an older Laguna motorized kickwheel.

I use the motor pretty much just for centering.

Lately, it seems I can't get the wheel to go as fast as I like. I kick it up to a good speed and then apply the motor (by means of the foot pedal) and it quickly slows to the speed of the motor.

What can I do to get a bit more speed out of it?

First see if the drive wheel is slipping. If not, see if the friction belt is worn and slipping. Also check to see if the drive wheel is engaging with full force. A spring may need adjustment or a lever. I am not familiar with the laguna drive wheel set up. They may need replacing. If all is working properly

the way to increase speed beyond what it is doing, is to decrease the size of the drive wheel.

Oh, and the most obvious would be to grease the bearings.

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

If the drive system is like the old Randall wheels (a rubberized "puck" spinning on the fixed speed motor shaft which then is tilted to sit on the outer edge of the flywheel when engaged), not only can the puck "slip" but as it is used over time the diameter of the rubber puck decreases due to the friction wearing away the rubber.

This can happen more quickly if you tend to not have the flywheel turning pretty fast when the motor is engaged.

As the puck diameter goes down, the maximum RPMs it will generate on the flywheel decreases, becasue the motor shaft speed is fixed (likely 1625 RPM), but the puck circumference is getting smaller and smaller due to wear....and hence one revolution of the puck covers less distance on the flywheel in a unit of time.

Also........ try centering with a much lower wheel speed than you THINK you need. It will improve your throwing in the long run.

best,

......................john

My Laguna kickwheel motor is a variable speed motor, & occasionally the speed will get turned down, so I need to turn it back up again.

Also when replacing the rubberized "puck" on the motor, rollerblade wheels work really well, if you can find them anymore.

And of course, John is right, it's never a bad idea to slow down a bit. (something I need to remind myself all the time!)

John,

I had a question. If the puck were smaller, wouldn't that rpm surface being going faster? I understand you say it is covering less surface. I confirmed your explanation with my rocket scientist (really) husband. He is a Theoretical Astrophysicist. You are right because the surface covered (distance on the circumference) is less. The puck's circumference when smaller would spin faster but cover less distance.

Interesting physics. I love Ceramics because there are so many details that are physics. My husband is really intrigued by thermal dynamics inside kilns.

Marcia

John,

I had a question. If the puck were smaller, wouldn't that rpm surface being going faster? I understand you say it is covering less surface. I confirmed your explanation with my rocket scientist (really) husband. He is a Theoretical Astrophysicist. You are right because the surface covered (distance on the circumference) is less. The puck's circumference when smaller would spin faster but cover less distance.

Interesting physics. I love Ceramics because there are so many details that are physics. My husband is really intrigued by thermal dynamics inside kilns.

Marcia

YOUR HUSBAND IS A THEORETICAL ASTROPHYSICIST!!!!! WOW! HOW COOL IS THAT!

Jim

John,

Marcia

YOUR HUSBAND IS A THEORETICAL ASTROPHYSICIST!!!!! WOW! HOW COOL IS THAT!

Jim

Yes. He just published a textbook on the evolution of single and binary stars."An Introduction to the Evolution of Single and Binary Stars". I am very proud of him. He also works with the European Space Agency...equivalent of NASA which he also works with.

Marcia

Marcia

John,

I had a question. If the puck were smaller, wouldn't that rpm surface being going faster?

because the motor is a fixed speed, this will not effect it the way you're thinking it might. the smaller rubber wheel/gear on the same motor RPM will make your flywheel spin slower than before (like you've described). you should technically have more torque with this setup at lower speeds since the motor is running at higher RPMs, where there's more torque and less strain on the motor. if you were to increase the size of the rubber wheel, then the flywheel will go faster on the top-end spped, but will have less torque at low RPMs and could potentially strain the motor more.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

I tightened up the all-thread attaching the pedal to the motor, and after looking at the puck, have ordered a new one. Its definitely worn down and kind of chewed up, so hopefully that will help. Going to have my mechanically inclined brother come help me grease up the bearings too.

I also appreciate the advice to slow down my centering.

It does make for a more thoughtful process!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

I tightened up the all-thread attaching the pedal to the motor, and after looking at the puck, have ordered a new one. Its definitely worn down and kind of chewed up, so hopefully that will help. Going to have my mechanically inclined brother come help me grease up the bearings too.

I also appreciate the advice to slow down my centering.

It does make for a more thoughtful process!

I originally learned on a Randall with the puck drive. The professor was adamant that we kick the wheel to start it, then to use the power. His reasoning was that the cold start wore the puck faster. It won't help you now, but if you replace the puck it may help preserve it a while longer.

Archived