Actual Voltage at Receptacle

I want to install a 240V, 48 Amp Skutt KM-1027. The voltage reading at my receptacle is about 227-228 volts. Is this an abnormally low reading for a 240 V receptacle?

Voltages vary in different parts of the country-220 is not uncommon-yours is in between.

Neil or Arnold can answer the effects better than I but I would be happy.

I have a Skutt 1227 kiln here and do not have 240v as its less volts here as well.

No issues in over 15 years.

Mark

I want to install a 240V, 48 Amp Skutt KM-1027. The voltage reading at my receptacle is about 227-228 volts. Is this an abnormally low reading for a 240 V receptacle?

Kilns are power devices, so voltage X current = watts (power). With lower voltage, the current rises to match the power required, or watts. 227 vplts is about 5% low, so should not be an issue.

With lower voltage, the current rises to match the power required, or watts.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If the voltage is low, the kiln will not have the needed wattage to get the kiln up to temperature. 228 is getting to the low side of what a 240 volt kiln can successfully run on. If you're trying to get to cone 10 it will be slow. Cone 6 should still work, though. But call Skutt to verify, as all kilns respond a little bit differently depending on how the elements were made. Also contact your electrical service provider and tell them you aren't getting a full 240 volts. Sometimes there's a problem with the transformer on your block that they're not aware of.

Guest scott312

That should be fine. I use 120 and 240 VAC voltage in my home. 120 & 240 are nominal numbers and can vary from 110 to 120 and 205 to 240 depending on the utility.

I sold my old kiln about 15 years ago. I had installed the breaker and line myself. I am just now coming back to pottery.

I was planing on getting the same one Skutt KM-1027. but I have decided to go with the Skutt KM1018 Kiln. My old kiln was about 7 cubit and I never did really fire it very full, maybe 50%. So I'm just going to get a 5 cubit foot kiln.

And I look forward to getting my first pottery wheel : )

Archived