What Is The Best Material For Making Wheel Bats?

I'm wondering what is the best material for making wheel bats. I have a drop-in set up with my wheel, and only 3 bats. I want to get more cut, and wonder what to use?

what is a drop-in set-up. It sounds like cast plaster bats that have a foot that drops into a space on the wheel head. Do you have bat pins on the wheel head or a circular ringed form for your bats?

I'm wondering what is the best material for making wheel bats. I have a drop-in set up with my wheel, and only 3 bats. I want to get more cut, and wonder what to use?

We use 1/4" Masonite. We bought a 4'x8' sheet from the local lumber yard and used a bat for a pattern. Cut them out with a jig saw, sand the edges a little and drill the holes for the bat pins. We used the same pattern bat to place our pin holes.

We got 18 large bats from one sheet. The Masonite was $11.49 a sheet, so it is very economical. The Masonite we used is one sided, but if anyone knows a source for double sided Masonite, I would appreciate hearing about it.

I now have another sheet of Masonite waiting to be cut into smaller bats, to save space on my cabinet shelves.

I bought a Euklid bat that has an indentation for standard tile. I love it for quick change out for small pots and it takes little room in my small moist boxes. For large pots I like the simple bat mold system made from plaster. And finally if I'm going to hang a pot upsid down and pull on it, I use masonite or plastic. Different tools different situations.

what is a drop-in set-up. It sounds like cast plaster bats that have a foot that drops into a space on the wheel head. Do you have bat pins on the wheel head or a circular ringed form for your bats?

Marcia: that does kind of sound like the traditional plaster bat, with the indented wheel head the bat fits into. She needs the mould, which used to be made out of metal, to make more bats. Or Hardyboard bat can be attached with clay wads to the existing bats.

Archived