high temp rods and bat question

I have a friend who is a welder who offered me some "fill rods" that are supposed to withstand temps of 2700 degrees/. I was thinking of making my own bead/button rack (making stoneware buttons for my crochet pieces) Do any of you think it would be a bad idea to attempt? (i was planning ot rest the rods between 2 stilts)

Also- does anyone know of a bat that I could use without pins? I have an old skutt (thomas stuart) kick wheel. (its refurbished from rusted metal and rotten wood) I do not have a splashpan and the wheel does not have pins or anything like that. Is there a bat that i could just press down with clay to adhere it?

I have a friend who is a welder who offered me some "fill rods" that are supposed to withstand temps of 2700 degrees/. I was thinking of making my own bead/button rack (making stoneware buttons for my crochet pieces) Do any of you think it would be a bad idea to attempt? (i was planning ot rest the rods between 2 stilts)

Also- does anyone know of a bat that I could use without pins? I have an old skutt (thomas stuart) kick wheel. (its refurbished from rusted metal and rotten wood) I do not have a splashpan and the wheel does not have pins or anything like that. Is there a bat that i could just press down with clay to adhere it?

I would like to know more about the fill rods that would hod up to 2700 degrees?What's the name of them? diameter and let us know if they do indeed work?

As far as a bat that sticks to your wheel head-any plaster bat will do just that with a little clay between it and the head. You can make your own or buy them.

Mark

You could drill your wheel head for bat pins if you want to use bats with holes to fit the wheel. You also can stick wooden and tempered masonite bats to the wheel head by throwing a grooved disc in clay. Make the grooves concentric, about 1 inch wide, dampen with sponge. Place the bat on top and give it a good whack with you fist. Don't get the clay or the bat too wet or the bat can slide off.

Marcia

Archived