7 replies to this topic

#1 justin1287

justin1287

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

I'd like to learn more about slipcasting, but am having trouble finding information on it.

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Google slip cast ceramics-
1,230,000 pages to read-that should take awhile to digest.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 justin1287

justin1287

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

What do i need to add to my cone 6 stoneware clay to make it suitable for slipcasting? I have a trash can full of waste clay that is not worth my time to wedge.

#4 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

What do i need to add to my cone 6 stoneware clay to make it suitable for slipcasting? I have a trash can full of waste clay that is not worth my time to wedge.

I usually buy slip when I need it. I never make it. However you can 'Google' 'Paul Wandless slip making'. He has a method of making your moist clay into casting slip. You may get the same info here on CAD; try a search.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#5 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

I'd like to learn more about slipcasting, but am having trouble finding information on it.

Try doing a library or Google search on 'mold making for ceramics' and there you will find slipcasting information.
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#6 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Richard Notkin is having summer workshops in Helena. He is one of the best mold makers in the business.
Work with a Master: Plaster Moldmaking / Ceramic Casting One two-week session only: June 10-21, 2013 (Limited to nine participants)
- Plaster technology & optimum mixing techniques - Prototype design & mold fabrication - Complex multiple piece mold mechanics - Press molding & slip-casting - Keys, pouring/draining systems, vents, etc. - Slip formulation & deflocculation- Altering/combining/assembling unique castings - Industrial/mass production techniques - Unusual/experimental techniques, and much more...
Tuition: $850. For more information contact: notkin@dishmail.net Studio/materials fee: 125. Or send SASE to: Richard Notkin TOTAL: $975. P.O. Box 698( Motel available, two weeks: $350./double, $700./single, or limited rooms in local homes, prices vary) Helena, MT 59624-0698

Marcia
I'll post this under events, too

#7 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

You can make most clays into a slip body but it will not be the best slip body-I suggest if you want trouble free slip results us a slip body made for slipping. Waste clay is not great slip clay-You can use it but it will take some time and test results it may work out and it may not. I have either made slip clay from scratch dry materials or bought slip clay in dry state but never tried to make whatever I was throwing into a slip body.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#8 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

John B. Kenny's Complete Book of Pottery Making has directions for making casting slip that involves a 10 day process. This is an old book from the 1950s.
It begins with a dry powder clay recipe plus diffloculent additives and proper blending of 10 minutes three times /day for 10 days. I used this process and it was very successful . I was able to make slip for particular clay bodies.

Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users