Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Black mold on ware boards


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 burningforkstudio

burningforkstudio

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

    Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationOn the Border by the Sea, Brownsville, TX

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

I use a diluted bleach solution and spray my plaster molds and anything else with black mold.
It works. You can wash , or sponge off the mold if you want to avoid spraying the diluted bleach. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

Marcia

Marcia Selsor
http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

Professor Emerita Montana State University-Billings
 


#3 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I put a sheet of plastic over the ware board for slab pieces or anything I want to dry very slowly, otherwise my ware boards do grow mold. I uncover them for awhile when I am in the studio, moving pieces to dry boards when needed.if the piece needs to be on a dry surface, I put a sheet of newsprint over the plastic.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#4 JohnnyK

JohnnyK

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCitrus Heights, CA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

If you're using standard drywall, you will never rid yourself of the mold problem. The paper face on the drywall supports the growth of mold.

What you might do is use a mold resistant variety used for wet areas like showers and bathroom construction. It is available at Lowe's and Home Depot. I believe the stuff at Lowe's is a light lavender color.

The defining term here is "resistant". Anytime you use an organic surface, you will have mold develop in a damp environment.

#5 garyb

garyb

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:14 PM


I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

I use a diluted bleach solution and spray my plaster molds and anything else with black mold.
It works. You can wash , or sponge off the mold if you want to avoid spraying the diluted bleach. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

Marcia


As a mold professional I can tell you that bleach does not kill mold. You need to purchase a bio-cide. You should be concerned about breathing in mold. More info can be found at www.greenwayairsolutions.com

#6 weeble

weeble

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

I use the bleach spray to knock the black down, but replace the pieces when they get too noxious. I lay them out separately to dry, in the sun whenever possible, but eventually the paper starts to break down too much. The hardware store here usually has a stack of broken drywall sheets that they sell really cheap, so for a few dollars, you could just get some new drywall.
Maryjane Carlson

Whistling Fish Pottery

#7 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

    Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationOn the Border by the Sea, Brownsville, TX

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:26 AM



I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla

I use a diluted bleach solution and spray my plaster molds and anything else with black mold.
It works. You can wash , or sponge off the mold if you want to avoid spraying the diluted bleach. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

Marcia


As a mold professional I can tell you that bleach does not kill mold. You need to purchase a bio-cide. You should be concerned about breathing in mold. More info can be found at www.greenwayairsolutions.com

thanks. hat is very informative. living in the tropics is mold heaven
Marcia

Marcia Selsor
http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

Professor Emerita Montana State University-Billings
 


#8 bobthecat

bobthecat

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

I am a handbuilder, and I dry my pieces very slowly. I use pieces of drywall for my ware boards, and cover the pieces on them with plastic, and usually place them on shelves that also have plastic draped over them. I find that especially lately, a fine, dusty black mold forms on the boards under the wet pieces. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to prevent it and/or clean it up? I am not sure how hazardous this type of mold is (is it the actual, scary black mold??), but I am pretty sure I don't want to be breathing in mold all the time if I can avoid it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~lahla


I have not tried this on ware boards, but to clean remove mold from my windows I use vinegar. It is non-toxic and does a great job.

#9 burningforkstudio

burningforkstudio

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users