• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Panamax

Panamax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

I have recently been told to apply kiln wash to the bottom of a 6 month old skutt kiln. I had always heard not to do this. What is the best procedure, kiln wash bottom of kiln or not? Thanks!!

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

I say wash it. I had a crystalline glaze eat a three inch hole in a brand new kiln when I first started with crystalline glazes back in 1972. Soda is very corrosive to soft brick. Many glazes are corrosive to soft brick. That is why is is a good practice to wash the kiln floor. I always coated kiln wash on the kiln floor of the gas kilns too. It made it easier to keep them crud free. Work that blows up with a glaze on it can be tough to clean without chipping bricks. I also coated the walls and lids or arches with ITC. It insulates as well as protects.

#3 Colonel Potter

Colonel Potter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBig Pine, Ca

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

I coated the whole thing with ITC and should have coated the bottom also with kiln wash. Now I have a big divit in the ITC coating. I also had a cone fly off of the cone boat and make a mess. With kiln wash I could have cleaned it up.

#4 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

When I got my kiln, I did not apply kiln wash to the bottom brick. However, I did place a shelf (that was kiln washed) on 1/2 inch posts on the bottom. My kiln is vented through the bottom and a shelf with slight elevation allows for air circulation/venting during firings.

#5 Panamax

Panamax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Thanks! Great group...glad to be a part of this since this medium is never ending with learning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users